Pokemon GO

Options
Has anyone else been motivated to move more since Pokemon Go came out? I've been walking like crazy to be the very best, searching far and wide for Pokemon to catch! I love the egg hatching feature, I hit my 10km goal for one of my eggs and hatched an Aerodactyl! So what is your favorite Pokemon out of the original 150? Mine is Vulpix, also how has Pokemon GO impacted your fitness journey?

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I was already active (gym 5 days a week, yoga most days) but have found that going for a post-dinner evening walk with phone in hand is a nice way to cap the night off.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Tangentially, yes. My 20yo daughter is FAR more active now because of it. I join her for walks a couple times a week.
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's really helping me, I already vowed to go for long walks in the evenings, but this is making me go further!! #teammystic
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've used my fitbit for the past 20 months to get my 10 to 20k steps in every day since (well almost every day). I tried the game, caught 3 and by that time was completely bored of it lol :-)
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I usually go for runs everyday but this app just makes me enjoy it more!!! Although I do think the egg hatching feature is quite clever, it kinda bugs me that you have to have the app open for it to count because the app drains my battery like INSANELY fast!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I usually go for runs everyday but this app just makes me enjoy it more!!! Although I do think the egg hatching feature is quite clever, it kinda bugs me that you have to have the app open for it to count because the app drains my battery like INSANELY fast!

I haven't been using it much but read an article the other day talking about the battery saving feature in the settings. It allows the screen to be off but the game to still run, I believe. It's the display that drains the battery so fast. Another option should be to turn the brightness of your screen as low as possible (which can be difficult in bright sunlight, I know!) to conserve battery.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the minority here but I can't stand it. I got cut off multiple times on my run last weekend by people staring down at their phone, walking right in front of me and having zero awareness of their surroundings.

I'm all for people being more active, I would just like them to look up every once in a while.
  • chelm1222
    chelm1222 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've gotten out and walked a lot more since downloading the app. It's a shame it's been so ridiculously hot where I live...makes it hard to go out. I haven't received any 10k eggs, only the 2k and 5k eggs so far.
  • Camigwen
    Camigwen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm over it, the peaceful park I walk in daily has been overrun with people who pay no attention to their surroundings. I've seen them step onto the jogging path/roadway right in front of someone who has to slam on their breaks (bike) or take a hard step sideways to avoid a collision. Most of them still don't notice and keep staring at their phone without even saying excuse me.
  • Catnipp_
    Catnipp_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm sad to see that both Camigwen and somebody_loved had encounters with some very rude people. Thankfully a majority of the run ins I had with people playing the game were respectful.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Ironically for me I think it has reduced my calorie expenditure a bit. I'm more inclined to go for a walk instead of going to the gym, so I wind up burning fewer calories in the time I have available.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I started on MOnday (Canadian Release) and it's made my walks a bit more fun...but my husband got it the other day and he is a lot more active.....that's great.

He actually went for a 5am walk with me today.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I want to like it...I really really do

But so far I'm using it as a way to get the youngest off her butt

Seems to eat my phone battery
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I want to like it...I really really do

But so far I'm using it as a way to get the youngest off her butt

Seems to eat my phone battery

if you go into settings and click battery saver that might help.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I haven't been using it much but read an article the other day talking about the battery saving feature in the settings. It allows the screen to be off but the game to still run, I believe. It's the display that drains the battery so fast. Another option should be to turn the brightness of your screen as low as possible (which can be difficult in bright sunlight, I know!) to conserve battery.

With the battery saver option checked, turn your phone upside down, holding it at hip level. The screen will go really dark with a faint logo, but the game will still track your position and alert you when a pokemon is nearby
  • Catnipp_
    Catnipp_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with battery life, but I also have a newer phone, the Iphone SE. the battery life on this phone is amazing. My boyfriends Iphone doesn't even come close to lasting as long as mine.
  • mommahags
    mommahags Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love it! It's gotten me out a lot more than normal, and I found a new playground for my kids & a hidden beach!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    naculp wrote: »

With the battery saver option checked, turn your phone upside down, holding it at hip level. The screen will go really dark with a faint logo, but the game will still track your position and alert you when a pokemon is nearby

The app consistently crashes for me when I turn the battery saver on.
  • laurie858
    laurie858 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes! After a long day at work, and picking up my kids from daycare/camp, I usually want to unwind and get going with dinner and chores. But now we walk to the park together before dinner or do a lap around the neighborhood after dinner catching Pokemon. On weekends we walk all over new neighborhoods around town. The egg hatching feature also encourages me to walk longer.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options

You can also turn off the camera feature.