Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is meat healthy?

124»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    It's defiantly unhealthy for the animals
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    All foods are necessary in moderation, hence the expression "a balanced diet". My doctor recently told me to eat more beef to increase my blood count.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    I'm not sure how I could eat a balanced and nutritious diet without eating animals. It would definitely be a challenge.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I'm happy to outsource the continual grazing of low quality food to livestock and then eat them or their offspring or other products (milk, eggs etc). Just seems less boring and more tasty.

Healthy ? Survived 55 years so far, normal BP and heart rate. Colon clean as a whistle. N=1 and YMMV
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    It's defiantly unhealthy for the animals

Which ones? We are animals too. It's healthy for us...

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    After being full time in nutritional ketosis for nearly two years eating Low Carb High Fat I am surprised that I am getting closer to eating like a vegetarian ever in my life without giving it any thought. I still eat some fish but not hitting up the barbeque joints and steakhouses at the age of 65 like in the past. My preferred beef is liver and onions with some whole food vegetables. The more of these kinds of carbs I eat the less fats I want to eat. My tastes in food is changing it seems. At one time I lived mainly on meat but not so much these days. Sugar (6 carbon) and grains are the only foods that do not eat at all if possible. Keeping my muscle and joint pain at bay is job one however. The weight loss side effects of managing my pain by diet is just a great bonus.
  • sande3al
    sande3al Posts: 12 Member
    Lean meats like chicken and fish provide vital macronutrients such as protein and healthy fats. Eating protein is a good suppressent of hunger as well so you'll get full on less food. You can still get your protein from plant based foods, but there's nothing wrong with eating meat.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I feel better and have more energy when I eat meat. Although, so long as I am getting adequate fat, I can certainly feel satiated with a salad that doesn't contain meat. It would need to have cheese and full-fat dressing, but it would be fine.

I believe meat is healthy and it's easier to eat a healthy diet with meat as an option, though a lot of people make vegetarianism and veganism work. It takes more effort, I think.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Not all agree but here is a summary that states:

SUMMARY:
    On the basis of recent findings, consuming protein (including that from meat) higher than current Recommended Dietary Allowance for protein is beneficial to calcium utilization and bone health, especially in the elderly. A high-protein diet with adequate calcium and fruits and vegetables is important for bone health and osteoporosis prevention.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20717017
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    I eat meat because it tastes good. I need no other reason to eat it haha.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2016
    That's an affirmative Ghost Rider.

Like all things in moderation.

Edit : I've also never seen a Sausage Patty Plant, or a Bacon Plant.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I try to limit animal products to organic, free range, grass fed, wild caught. It's expensive. So I limit it. In most restaurants I eat vegan.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I eat meat because it tastes good. I need no other reason to eat it haha.

i like the way you think
  • EdR55
    EdR55 Posts: 174 Member
    Absolutely-proteins are not created equal...