HRM with GPS suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    After more research, seeing them in person & contemplating price... I ordered the Garmin Forerunner 25 bundle. (Purple/black)

Now I can't wait till it gets here!!!

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-25/prod164366.html
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Good choice.

It should work fine on the bike, too. It will probably think you were running, so when you get home you'll want to go to Garmin Connect (on your computer's browser, or on your phone with the app) and change your bike rides from "running" to "cycling." You don't have to, but GC has some nifty reports like how many times did you run vs bike each month, how many hours and calories and miles of each, etc. Only work if your activities are tagged.

Also you can get a handlebar mount if you want one:

cf-lg.jpg

I have a Garmin watch too. I thought the "smart notifications" were going to be a gimmick that I'd never use. They're actually hugely valuable. I set my phone down when I get home, and don't need to find it to see why it's buzzing, or I get a text on my wrist and don't miss it. I like that it's waterproof because when I hike with a buddy and they drive, sometimes that "I'm on my way" text while I'm in the shower. The watch shows it to me and I know to get moving.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Good choice.

It should work fine on the bike, too. It will probably think you were running, so when you get home you'll want to go to Garmin Connect (on your computer's browser, or on your phone with the app) and change your bike rides from "running" to "cycling." You don't have to, but GC has some nifty reports like how many times did you run vs bike each month, how many hours and calories and miles of each, etc. Only work if your activities are tagged.

Also you can get a handlebar mount if you want one:

cf-lg.jpg

I have a Garmin watch too. I thought the "smart notifications" were going to be a gimmick that I'd never use. They're actually hugely valuable. I set my phone down when I get home, and don't need to find it to see why it's buzzing, or I get a text on my wrist and don't miss it. I like that it's waterproof because when I hike with a buddy and they drive, sometimes that "I'm on my way" text while I'm in the shower. The watch shows it to me and I know to get moving.

I am more of a walker/runner than a bicycler... I would be more interested in just distance & calorie burn when I ride then the other more complicated stuff. Pretty sure this Garmin will do that for me even if I'm on a bike :)

I also was thinking all of those smart notifications were unnecessary for what I want. I really don't care who is calling or texting or emailing me while I'm exercising, nor will I really need notifications about my exercise by text or email. Checking the device itself should be suitable. But who knows - once upon a time I didn't think I'd need/want the GPS either, as I'd always just come home and use geodistance to figure it out! :p
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    My wife loves her FR25. I got it for her for Mother's day and she loves it. Uses it all the time.
  • Photoartist2
    Photoartist2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivoactive HR and I love it! Works great for what I do.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Wolfena wrote: »
    I would be more interested in just distance & calorie burn when I ride then the other more complicated stuff.

Well it's a speedometer too. :smile:
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Polar M400
  • cutbackcoach
    cutbackcoach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Garmin makes a range of great GPS watches with multi-sport capability and pretty stunning accuracy - mine are within 10-20 meters over certified courses. I love their stuff - have had several over the years - they get better and better -, and all models have been reliable and easy to set up and use. I second that comment that the DCRainmaker site has super helpful video product reviews. Be sure to consider the models that give you heart rate without having to use a chest strap.