Butt exercises for those with a bad back

Options
Will_Run_for_Food
Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I am really trying to get my booty to pop but unfortunately due to a prior back injury/chronic lower back pain, my exercises are limited. I essentially can't do weighted squats or deadlifts, so the Stronglifts program is out for me. Even glute bridges hurt sometimes.

Anyone have any recommendations for exercises that help glutes but are easy on the lower back?

Replies

• BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lunges. Both non-weighted and weighted. Squats *non-weighted. As you're limited, 95% of the leg machines at your gym will do just fine. You can squeeze and hold for a better burn. *Note any leg machines were you feel any discomfort, avoid and try a different one.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Split squats.

Jumping lunges, if you are able. :+1:

• socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Glute contractions
    Reverse slide lunge
    Bird dog
    Banded Donkey kicks
    Banded abduction
    Banded lateral monster walks
    Banded clams
    Prone bench leg lifts
    Fire hydrant with leg extension
    Posterior planks
    Hip circles
  • cutbackcoach
    cutbackcoach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian split squats, deep walking lunges, high box step ups, walking stairs 2-3 at a time - those are your best options for your specific goal, if you cannot squat or do the next best thing, the kinds of loaded bridges popularized by Bret Contreras - which it sounds like you have tried. To see any appreciable change in the size and shape of the glutes - that booty pop you want - you want to use exercises that put that hip through the fullest possible range of motion, against resistance that requires those muscles to contract with great force. Anything that involves so little range of motion and force that you can complete more than 12 reps (rule of thumb: for optimal hypertrophy, you need to be contracting the muscle hard enough that failure occurs in the 6-12 rep range) isn't going to stress the right muscle group at the right intensity to force it to adapt by growing thicker fibers. Toning versus bodybuilding. Your goal is the latter. Bulgarian split squats are probably your best bet - they are glute incinerators when you get the stance right, and lots of folks are able to load them (holding dumbbells, for example) without aggravating their backs. Good luck!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    All very good suggestions above. I have struggled with lower back pain for years. What helps me the most is making sure that I am stretching (so my lower back & hip flexor muscles don't get too tight & cause pain) and strengthening my abs. The stronger your abs, the less your back has to work to support your body. I also occasionally visit the chiropractor, as my spine gets misaligned and causes pain as well.

I have been using the Strong Curves beginner program (written to specifically grow your glutes) and have been adding weight VERY slowly so that I don't aggravate my back. I started with body weight on pretty much every exercise & only added a little weight every few weeks. I'm finding that the stronger I get, the better my back feels overall.

Good luck!
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Step ups (weighted or unweighted), weighted lunges, split squats (weighted or unweighted), leg/glute kick back (can hook up leg to a cable or band for added resistance), etc.

Just be sure to go deep on the lunges / split squats to engage the glutes. Too shallow only leaves the quads and/or hamstrings.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!