Calories for Weight Training + Fat Loss

Options
I know this issue is debated from the little bit of research I've done so far, but I was wondering if I could get opinions on calorie intake when you are trying to both build muscle and lose fat.

I'm a 34-year-old woman, 5'4", 155lbs and my estimated fat percentage (per body measurements) is 32% (I know these aren't accurate - just giving you a ballpark). I lost 20lbs through diet alonge, but I don't care about my weight on the scale anymore - I just want to lose fat and gain muscle, have a more toned body.

Prior to beginning exercise I was eating 1200 calories (meticulously weighing/tracking every single thing) and I now have my goals set for 1200 calories with a 50/30/20 macro breakdown which puts at 150g of protein. To give you an idea of the type of training I am doing, this is the program I'm currently following (http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/ultimate-6-week-home-workout) - I do the Week 5 and 6 exercises except I do 4 sets of 12 reps for everything, and I do each workout twice a week (6 days of lifting, 1 day full rest). I use mostly 15lbs dumbbells, some 10lbs for tricep work and some heavier weights on the barbell for things like deadlift. I don't know if any of this matters - just trying to be thorough and get some input.

So I'm asking for some input on a good number of calories to aim for that will help me continue to lose fat (although I know it will be a much slower rate) but also give me the fuel I need to power through my workouts and build strength/muscle. 1200 doesn't come close to cutting it for me anymore, but I'm very new to weight lifting and I have no clue what I should be aiming for at this point to reach my goals.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd say eat close to maintenance. It's going to be very slow progress. I'm currently doing something similar. I eat under maintenance by about 150 a day and am currently starting Strong Curves 4x a week. I have my macros set to 40c, 30f, 30p. I try to make sure I don't go below 100g of protein daily but I don't really track the other macros.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner lifter, you can still gain some muscle while on a caloric deficit. So I would recommend eating 250-500 under your TDEE (that's .5-1 lb per week weight loss) and watching the weights you're lifting. If you notice the deficit is hindering your lifting progress, eat a little more. I wish there was a better/definitive answer, but it ultimately comes down to adjusting your calories slightly and seeing how you feel and perform in the gym over time.

Personally, I do notice when I'm cutting that my lifts stagnate. I don't mind though, since the lifting is making me retain lean mass better than if I was cutting and not lifting. I also eat .64-.82 grams of protein per lbs body weight and would recommend that for you as well.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Personally I'd say eat close to maintenance. It's going to be very slow progress. I'm currently doing something similar. I eat under maintenance by about 150 a day and am currently starting Strong Curves 4x a week. I have my macros set to 40c, 30f, 30p. I try to make sure I don't go below 100g of protein daily but I don't really track the other macros.

This is very good advice. You can get your macros done with a nutritionist that specializes in weight training.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest using a TDEE calculator for moderately active and then taking 250 calories off. Follow it for 4 weeks and then evaluate. I'd aim for .8-1 g protein per pound of bodyweight (120ish) and .4 g fat per pound of bodyweight (60ish) or more per day. Fill in the rest with whatever you want.

I'd also find a different program or do that one as written. If you're doing every workout twice a week that means you're doing several days in a row without a rest. From what I can see, every one of those workouts works triceps, meaning that you only rest them one day a week. I didn't look further at the plan. You need rest days and if you don't want to take an actual rest day, you need to plan your training to rest different muscle groups on different days.

Also, you're not going to progress far with those dumbbells. You need heavier or more weights so that you can continue to lift more.
  • cutbackcoach
    cutbackcoach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'd suggest using a TDEE calculator for moderately active and then taking 250 calories off. Follow it for 4 weeks and then evaluate. I'd aim for .8-1 g protein per pound of bodyweight (120ish) and .4 g fat per pound of bodyweight (60ish) or more per day. Fill in the rest with whatever you want.

I'd also find a different program or do that one as written. If you're doing every workout twice a week that means you're doing several days in a row without a rest. From what I can see, every one of those workouts works triceps, meaning that you only rest them one day a week. I didn't look further at the plan. You need rest days and if you don't want to take an actual rest day, you need to plan your training to rest different muscle groups on different days.

Also, you're not going to progress far with those dumbbells. You need heavier or more weights so that you can continue to lift more.

This is great advice. One other thing to consider. For your muscle-building goals, it is critical that your training be good, hard, intense training - muscles don't grow with reminders, gentle hints, or suggestions - you have to make them contract hard to keep the adaptations coming. The calorie balance is important - that slight, 250 deficit recommendation is right on target, but having enough fuel on board to train hard (and safely) is a really big deal. Think about shifting the timing of some of your food energy to where it has the best chance to improve your training - something as simple as a banana an hour or two before you train, and a 150 calorie or so protein and carb "meal" (or shake drink, or something as simple as skim milk) right after you train. Those calories still count in the overall balance just as before - you are just timing the intake around the hardest physical part of the day. Experiment a bit and see if this helps. It can be really helpful for some folks who are on as low a total intake as you are.