How to get enough Protein in a vegan diet?

Options
Hello! Looking for some hints and tips on to how to get enough protein into a vegan diet when trying to lose weight. Thanks!

Replies

• pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, Dairy if you drink that- depends how Vegan you are! Look at getting Vegan protein shakes, search into David Haye Vegan diet- he is now a full Vegan and uses vegan shakes.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Tofu, beans, saytan, almond butter & boca burgers.
  • peanutchele
    peanutchele Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey
    My diary is open and I'm hitting 100g a day.

My protein rich foods are
    Nutritional yeast
    Hemp seeds
    Home made Hommous
    Protein powder
    Tofu
    Pumpkin seeds
    Chickpeas

These are the foods I use to pump up my meals.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can add protein powder to things other than shakes too - oatmeal, pudding etc
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, I was going to suggest protein powder. I am not vegetarian/vegan, but my protein powder of choice is still Vega protein powder. I can do whey through protein bars or Greek yogurt, but when it comes to shakes something about plant protein just does it for me. I feel like it tastes better, is easier on the stomach, and I can blend it with so many different fruits, vegetables, or anything else I want. Whey protein powder is too thick/shake like. Any Vega line is good, but I feel like the Protein and Greens line is not as flavorful and more bitter/gritty than the All-in-One, Essentials, or Clean Protein lines.

Other vegan protein powder brands I've tried are Garden of Life and Kashi. I feel like Garden of Life is gritty in comparison and doesn't blend as well. If you only have a shaker cup, then definitely not Garden of Life unless you like the gritty taste. I haven't tried the Kashi plant protein in a shaker cup, but in the blender it's good. Also, if you're into protein bars/protein nut butters, I really enjoy the D's Naturals line. Their protein infused fluffbutter tastes great and they have lots of flavors. It's on sale at The Vitamin Shoppe right now for buy one, get one 50% off. You can pair it with apples instead of nut butter for the same calories and fat but more protein or mix it into dairy free yogurt. Their protein bars are also quite tasty and are high fiber, high protein, and low sugar for a decent amount of calories. Most of the bars are ~170 calories, 5g fat, 27g carbs, 19g fiber, 1g sugar, and 20g of protein.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you trying to get and why? It matters, you may be getting enough, but if you want more to build muscle, that is alittle different.

I get all I need (56 g) from the plants I eat. (Vegan diet). I eat whole grains (quinoa, amaranth, millet, etc.), seeds (chia), nuts (not every day), beans and legumes, and lots of vegetables.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    There isn't a set amount of protein that facilitates weightloss. Generally, you need around 50something grams a day for most people for general health. As long as your at least hitting that you should be fine...just stick to beans, tofu, seitan, and eating a variety of foods while cutting empty calorie foods like sweets and junk foods while watching your calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining, but when I was losing weight I got most of my protein from beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan, grains, vegetables, and protein powder.
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's basically impossible to get too little protein as long as you are eating enough calories. I've been vegan for two years and never once had an issue getting enough protein, and have easily been able to gain muscle from yoga and weight training. Just eat enough and don't worry so much about it :)
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Quick reference with amounts of protein/serving included
    There are also vegetarian items on the list but those are ***'d
  • ilonaperry09
    ilonaperry09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best vegan protein powder that I've tried is MRM. Good price too! I order it off Amazon.

Otherwise: tofu, edamame, beans, fake meats.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Get some TVP (textured vegetable protein) from the bulk section of your natural food store. You can put in in veggie broth to create something that has the mouth feel and general flavor of ground beef. You can toss it in stew, chilli, or make some tacos. It really helps if you plan to convert non-vegan recipes over. You can also use it to make homemade veggie burgers.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hello! Looking for some hints and tips on to how to get enough protein into a vegan diet when trying to lose weight. Thanks!

You need to hit 42g of protein a day. Legumes, soymilk, and whole wheat pastas will easily get you there.