Sugar!

xitxocmay991
xitxocmay991 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Its very hard for me to stop eating sweets.... I need help! Lol

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Know that is an addiction. I have a sugar addiction. I decided to eat healthier and limit my sugar. I eat fruit (frozen is really good) instead now.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I'm quite sure that I also suffer a sugar addiction
  • mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    i just try and keep it out of my house, therefore, no temptation.
    except for fruits and such
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    i just try and keep it out of my house, therefore, no temptation.
    except for fruits and such

Same here. If I buy it and it's there I will eat it...
    I still have issues away from home though, & sometimes I actually get angry with myself for NOT having sugary snacks in the house.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Cut out sugar. Stick to 25 grams or less per day which is the WHO guidlines for adults
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Its very hard for me to stop eating sweet? I need help! Lol

What I think is helpful is to understand the problem as well as possible. How many calories of sweets do you eat? How many calories overall? Do you eat a healthful balanced diet? For a lot of people the best approach is to focus on eating a good diet -- to put the focus on what you do eat, not what you do not -- and of course appropriate calories. If you get plenty of protein, fiber, healthy fats, and vegetables, you won't have room for lots of sweets and probably won't be so tempted to overeat them. (I personally don't think it's necessary to cut them out entirely if you enjoy them and eat a healthful, calorie-appropriate diet, such as this.)

If that doesn't work and you still feel kind of out of control around sweets, or, usually, particular sweets (it's never just sugar, which is in plenty of foods like fruits and veg, and rarely enjoyed on its own), I found it helpful to think about what's going on when I feel out of control or overeat -- particular thing you are doing or time of day or way you are feeling? Often it's because of a habit (for example, maybe you always gorge on chocolate at 4 pm or while watching TV) and that can be broken by not doing it or substituting something else -- hard at first, but gets easier. Sometimes it's emotional eating, sometimes it's just that you've told yourself that if you ever eat whatever you won't be able to stop, and that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Anyway, there are lots of strategies that will work, but you need to be thoughtful and understand what the triggers are before figuring out what the right strategy might be.

For me, the right strategy was not snacking other than planned snacks and especially not grazing. I still occasionally (not always) have a sweet dessert after dinner, and I have no issues keeping that at a serving. When I would graze during the day I'd end up eating more than I intended, stuff that was just around that I didn't care about, plus emotional eating.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    How is your protein intake? Insufficient protein can lead to craving sweet tasting things. Try to get at least 0.8g/lb of body weight of protein in your daily intake.

Try taking your sweet tasting foods after meals when your stomach is already full. This might keep you from overindulging while still letting you satisfy your taste for sweets.

Try desserts and sweet items that are moisture laden and higher volume/lower calorie - fruits, berries, etc. These satisfy the taste for sweets while being more satiating, at least for some people.

Best of luck with your health goals!
    -S
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    How is your protein intake? Insufficient protein can lead to craving sweet tasting things. Try to get at least 0.8g/lb of body weight of protein in your daily intake.

Try taking your sweet tasting foods after meals when your stomach is already full. This might keep you from overindulging while still letting you satisfy your taste for sweets.

Try desserts and sweet items that are moisture laden and higher volume/lower calorie - fruits, berries, etc. These satisfy the taste for sweets while being more satiating, at least for some people.

Best of luck with your health goals!
    -S

Is there any evidence for this? I'd be interested to read at what level of protein intake these sweet cravings occur.
  • xitxocmay991
    xitxocmay991 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you so much for the advise! I will take more protein..I'm sure that's why I'm always craving sweets.