How many of you eat breakfast?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    scoii wrote: »
    I eat breakfast withing 20 minutes of waking up. My gf never eats breakfast. We lose at the same rate.

I eat breakfast and my son does too. My wife and daughter do not. Maybe its a girl thing.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I eat breakfast on most mornings. Eggs, toast with honey no butter, and an orange or an apple. I drink 2 glasses of water.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »
    It's very much an individual thing. I know some people that, if they eat breakfast, feel hungry all day long. I know others who simply can't eat first thing in the morning. For me, personally, I have to eat breakfast. Sometimes, I'll eat some fruit. Other times, I'll eat yogurt with a little granola. This morning, I had a croissant. That was enough.

I'm usually done eating for the day at 6PM, though. Breakfast is about eleven hours later. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Maybe, if I had a snack at 8PM, I'd be able to skip breakfast or put it off until later in the morning. It's completely a matter of what works for you.

Interesting. I sometimes find I get back hungry quicker, if I eat a bigger breakfast than usual.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    So far I've been managing to lose weight without breakfast but so many people bang on about how I should and how important it is. So my question is how many of you eat breakfast and how many of you have successfully lost weight without it?

For me personally, the following few items are why "not eating breakfast" is better for me.

- Im not usually hungry until 1pm
    - eating breakfast makes me ravenous throughout the day - once I start eating I cant stop....
    - I like to eat 2 satisfying meals a day - lunch around 300-400 cals, dinner around 900-1100
    - I tend to eat lunch between 1-3, and dinner between 8-10
    - Its made my overall calories easier to manage
    - Its sustainable, and suits ME..... It was the easiest change Ive made to my diet - with a huge impact to my weight.....its how I naturally eat, so Im extremely happy with the results.
    -

This is me almost exactly and 90lbs later I'm doing just fine. No, it won't work for everyone, but it's perfect for me and that's what matters.

Me too. Almost exactly except dinner is more 6-8ish. I also don't really like most breakfast foods.

What exactly is a breakfast food?? My wife taught me that anything you eat at any time is food. Sometimes she'd warm up bits of leftover dinner and use for breakfast.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    tns56364 wrote: »
    Tracie5225 wrote: »
    I have trouble controlling my appetite, as soon as I start eating, unless I am completely occupied, I feel hunger all day. Therefore I usually miss breakfast, and try to hold off my first meal for as long as possible.

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. So I usually will skip breakfast and sometimes lunch then enjoy an nice dinner and a later small snack. I still make sure that I eat my required calories and maintain a good deficit.

That pattern will only work for people with no medical problems. If you were diabetic, for example, you couldn't cram all your eating into that short space of time after starving through breakfast and lunch. To eat all your calories mainly in one meal and a small snack is a big spike in sugar, sodium and everything else that matters.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The longer you wait to eat for the first time after you wake up the better. Once you take that first bite your body goes into "receiving mode" for food. The more you prolong this happening the less you will eat throughout the day

That may be true for you, but it isn't true for me.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast, it makes me ill to eat that early.
  • waynetaylor_co_uk
    waynetaylor_co_uk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sometimes porridge. Sometimes nothing.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I break my nightly fast every single morning :D
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i eat SOMETHING for breakfast every morning. some mornings it's not much, but i eat something.
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tracie5225 wrote: »
    I have trouble controlling my appetite, as soon as I start eating, unless I am completely occupied, I feel hunger all day. Therefore I usually miss breakfast, and try to hold off my first meal for as long as possible.
    There has also been research that for men it is better to exercise after eating but for women it is better to exercise on an empty stomach so I chose to skip breakfast and I have not had any detrimental effects and I believe it helps with my weight loss

I am the say way. I try to postpone eating as long as practical. I like to snack and once I start eating, I think about food! I also prefer to exercise on an empty stomach. My PT thinks it's foolish how little I eat before a session, but I feel better without food in my stomach. Prefer 2-to-4 hours of empty stomach before exercise.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    hmltwin wrote: »
    It's very much an individual thing. I know some people that, if they eat breakfast, feel hungry all day long. I know others who simply can't eat first thing in the morning. For me, personally, I have to eat breakfast. Sometimes, I'll eat some fruit. Other times, I'll eat yogurt with a little granola. This morning, I had a croissant. That was enough.

I'm usually done eating for the day at 6PM, though. Breakfast is about eleven hours later. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Maybe, if I had a snack at 8PM, I'd be able to skip breakfast or put it off until later in the morning. It's completely a matter of what works for you.

Interesting. I sometimes find I get back hungry quicker, if I eat a bigger breakfast than usual.

See... when I eat a larger breakfast than normal (usually on weekends), I also will eat it later in the morning (8-9 AM, rather than 5 AM). If I eat breakfast that late, I often find that I'm not hungry again until 1-2 PM. Sometimes, I've eaten just two meals on those days. Breakfast becomes like a brunch and then I have dinner at 2 PM and... like a snack at 6 PM and I'm done for the day.

I've never experienced getting hungry sooner because I ate. I have a friend who doesn't eat breakfast for this very reason. For me, though, I really need to eat something in the morning. Otherwise, I get tired and lethargic, easily distracted and short-tempered.
  • WynterDreaming
    WynterDreaming Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    vczK2t wrote: »
    i eat SOMETHING for breakfast every morning. some mornings it's not much, but i eat something.

This is me to the exact. Even if I'm not necessarily hungry, I have to eat SOMETHING. Breakfast is an essential part of my day for several reasons though. The first of which being that if I don't eat breakfast, it messes me up for eating the rest of the day in that I often forget to get food for myself considering that if I don't eat I rarely feel hungry. And if I forget to eat, and then go do some kind of exercise, I will make myself sick (it's happened and it's not fun). Some people credit breakfast as the most important meal of the day and for me it is, even if I don't necessarily like it.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Remember, it's very important to eat breakfast. Studies show that people who eat breakfast are thinner than people that don't eat breakfast. Of course the study was funded by Kellogg, but that's besides the point.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Remember, it's very important to eat breakfast. Studies show that people who eat breakfast are thinner than people that don't eat breakfast. Of course the study was funded by Kellogg, but that's besides the point.

That IS the point.

Intermittent Fasting is one of the new areas of research. Some interesting findings:
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/

I practice the Leangains version of Intermittent Fasting. No breakfast. I break my fast at lunch.
    I'm in the group with, "breakfast makes me feel starving all day"

I like the appetite suppression fasting affords:
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-growth-hormone-physiology-part-3/
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Nope because that study established a correlation, not the cause.

Of the general population, those that skip breakfast tend to be fatter, but that is because they tend to snack more throughout the rest of the day and eat more calories than the breakfast would have contained.

Members of MFP are not representative of the general population. Because we calorie count our calories are controlled so the "skip breakfast and then eat too much option" is a moot point. If this were to happen, your calorie counting would dictate that you ate less later in the day to achieve your calorific target.

On that basis, the timings of your meals is a matter of choice and preference only.

It is for a similar reason that:
    • Eat off a smaller plate and you will eat less
    • Use tall thin glasses and you will drink less
    • Leave some food on your plate at each meal
    • Hang a mirror opposite your seat at the table

Are irrelevant to those that calorie count. Although they may help those that eat intuitively but tricking them into taking on less cals.