Why am I more hungry when I eat oatmeal for breakfast

Options
sugom2
sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
Does anyone else have this problem? If I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I am starving 2 hours later. but if I eat a low carb, high protein breakfast (like crustless quiche) it takes me all the way to lunch.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Protein digests more slowly than carbs so more protein =feeling full longer. If you like oatmeal you can add some nuts or peanut butter or something else with protein to help fill you up.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    People react to different foods differently. You appear to react to high protein more favorably. I'm the exact opposite, oatmeal for breakfast has the potential to take me all the way to dinner, but crustless quiche leaves me hungry 2 hours later unless it has potatoes in it or I eat it with bread.

Just choose the things that make you feel full. No one knows what would fill you up best but you.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's abnormal to be hungry 2 hours after eating. Consider having a snack once you get hungry if you can fit it into your calorie allowance. Also, I personally could not eat just oatmeal for breakfast... As you said, you weren't hungry when you ate high protein so try to add some protein to your breakfast and enjoy the oatmeal.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am ok with oatmeal for breakfast - as long as I also add protein and fat. I add fruit, walnuts, and a cup of greek yogurt to my oatmeal.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Add 25g of protein powder - that'll fill you up! Scattering nuts or seeds on top is another way to add protein (and fibre).
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    sugom2 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this problem? If I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I am starving 2 hours later. but if I eat a low carb, high protein breakfast (like crustless quiche) it takes me all the way to lunch.

I am the same that is why I don't eat oatmeal very often. Maybe once a month and just for a change but I have to have some cottage cheese too to increase my protein. I actually crash after eating oatmeal. Not a good feeling.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I eat protein enriched cereal for breakfast, or fat free Greek yoghurt & granola as porridge is yummy but not filling for me
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a nutrition course and we talked about this exact subject. Oatmeal digests quickly because it's carb-heavy versus protein, which is known to digest much more slowly. So what do you do? Have your oatmeal with protein, you'll get the energy of carbs but it'll digest much slower so you'll have energy for an extended period of time.
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I find that I am hungry no matter what I eat for breakfast. I have gotten to the point I usually don't eat anything right after waking until at least 9:30 or 10 (I get up around 6), then I am fine until lunch. If I eat before I come to work, I am feeling pretty famished by 10. If I don't eat before work, I eat around 10 anyway, but it can be something lighter and I feel better.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    What Oatmeal? Real Oatmeal or the crap that's loaded with added sugars?

One of these is great the other is a boat load of empty carbs.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue. It was due to blood sugar. My body is very efficient at digesting sugars (opposite of diabetes), so I would get a huge crash after eating oatmeal, leading to the shakes.

It was terrible when I was in my 20s and I had to carry crackers on me. It was marginally better when I added walnuts and used milk to make it, but steelcut v. instant didn't make any difference. Eating raw oatmeal aka. muesli might be better.

It seems to have resolved itself with time. I suppose my body is now used to what I feed it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am ok with oatmeal for breakfast - as long as I also add protein and fat. I add fruit, walnuts, and a cup of greek yogurt to my oatmeal.

Yeah, this. I need protein at breakfast to be completely satisfied (more than oatmeal has on its own). I also like to have some vegetables. So when I have oatmeal, which I enjoy, I also have some kind of protein plus some veg. If I do that it's as filling as my usual vegetable omelet based breakfast for the same calories.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "What Oatmeal? Real Oatmeal or the crap that's loaded with added sugars? One of these is great the other is a boat load of empty carbs."
    Real oatmeal--
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sugom2 wrote: »
    "What Oatmeal? Real Oatmeal or the crap that's loaded with added sugars? One of these is great the other is a boat load of empty carbs."
    Real oatmeal--

Real oatmeal - steel cut oats made with milk. Add chopped walnuts & raisins.....mmm
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I eat high-protein oatmeal or add egg whites to it. :)
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Cooked oatmeal (from steel-cut oats) takes me very little time to digest too. I suspect it's because the cooking does already half the work for your stomach. Overnight oats (that are not cooked) last a lot longer for me, so I eat those instead.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only time i have oatmeal is for dessert, not as an actual meal, as it doesn't fill me up for long either.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Quick oats do that to me. Steel cut with added protein and fat keeps me full for a while though!
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. But then I switched to steel cut. I cook it al dente cuz I like it chewy. It hold me until 2 pm easily.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For similar calories you can have a small pork chop or low fat hamburger.