Fish

Options
2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For all of the fearmongering about tuna: the only people who are actually advised to restrict it anymore, are pregnant and nursing women.
    There's been this fun thing discovered where Selenium binds to methylmercury and causes it to pass through the system unabsorbed. Three guesses as to which metal tuna is rather rich in.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why would you assume fish comes in a "package"?

All the fish I buy comes in a package.
    I'm guessing @MelaniaTrump means if it comes in a package read the label especially tinned fish as there can be salt etc added.

Mine doesn't -- almost none of it. I pick up some frozen fish from TJ's on occasion that does, I suppose.

I just found it weird that someone who is apparently into scaremongering would assume people are buying fish in packages. I'm assuming she plagiarized it from some website somewhere.

I prefer fishmongers to scaremongers.

(Monger, btw, denotes a vendor who stays in one place, vs. a pedlar. Perhaps everyone knows that, but I only learned it a few months ago and found it cool.)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I don't care if Ben & Jerry's named a flavor after them - their music is insufferable.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Fried catfish
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    COD has a lot of protein
  • pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fish is expensive hence why a lot of people tend to eat meats then have fish as a treat.....tuna cans are always relatively cheap and good for you.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Fish isn't really all that healthy the way it's farmed now the fish don't get much nutrients, so nether do you.
  • shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I thought about eating tilapia fish but not sure how healthy it is
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The nonprofit Food & Water Watch looked at all the varieties of fish out there, how they were harvested, how certain species are farmed and levels of toxic contaminants like mercury or PCBs in the fish, as well as how heavily local fishermen relied upon fisheries for their economic survival.

12 Unhealthy Fish You Should Avoid
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/02/unhealthy-fish-never-eat-avoid_n_4317046.html
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Any you want, it's all good.

Some folks have read the typical Internet hype about farmed fish not healthy. Really a fish that doesn't get nutrition that's flesh contains protein, not healthy?

Get a grip people! Your great-grandmother was always on your great-grandfather about catching fish that had proper nutrition? Really you think that? It's fish! Go eat it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Any you want, it's all good.

Some folks have read the typical Internet hype about farmed fish not healthy. Really a fish that doesn't get nutrition that's flesh contains protein, not healthy?
    You don't seem to understand.... if the fish lives in clean fresh water, then you are correct. But that's not the case. Mercury, PCB, over fishing, etc. These are measurable facts not opinion.

Fish raised in a farm have a variety of issues: The industry uses open net-cages placed directly in the ocean, where farm waste, chemicals, disease and parasites are released directly into the surrounding waters, harming other marine life. Escapes of thousands of farmed fish are common in this industry, as are the deaths of natural predators like sea lions and seals who are attracted to the pens of fish.

Raising carnivorous fish like salmon that require a high percentage of protein derived from wild fish in their feed also has a significant impact on the environment. More kilograms of wild fish are used to raise salmon than farmed salmon produced, depleting wild fish stocks rather than supplementing them.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like salmon and tilapia. If I'm in a pinch (like I was tonight) for some protein, I'll do canned tuna.