New Vegetarian.

Hiya, I decided on monday 18 July to become a veggie. Looking for veggie friends but anyone welcome. Please add me, thank you :) xxx

Replies

• BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    Only 1 taker? :(
  • dmmfox
    dmmfox Posts: 45 Member
    Was it me? lol. I started to send you a request, but my phone signed me out. 22 years a vegetarian and I'm on here everyday if you need me!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    sorry, not a vegetarian! Good luck with it though!! :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    You can add me. I don't log everyday, but I'm trying to get better at it
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    I did say anyone welcome! Thanks ladies. Lol no you werent the first DFox. Sending request redraidergirl :)
  • kurriouskat
    kurriouskat Posts: 7 Member
    I was a vegan for 5 years! Now I eat meat, but no dairy. Make sure to read labels and hopefully your city has restaurants with options if you like to go out.

I would avoid faux meats like tofu, tempeh, or pre- made veggie burgers and such since they are highly processed. There are great veggie meat recipes on Pinterest that uses veggies and beans.

Good luck!
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Thanks kurriouskat. So the quorn stuff etc is processed? That's a shame. Some of it looked quite interesting. I'll definitely have a look on Pinterest. And yes Brighton should have a few veggie options on their restaurant menus. :smile:
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Quorn is lovely!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Thanks kurriouskat. So the quorn stuff etc is processed? That's a shame. Some of it looked quite interesting. I'll definitely have a look on Pinterest. And yes Brighton should have a few veggie options on their restaurant menus. :smile:

There's nothing inherently wrong with processed food though . . .
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited July 2016
    Processed food, in moderation, can be a helpful and healthful part of any diet.... not to mention that tofu and tempeh are not really meat replacements as they've existed for very long periods of time, tofu being traced back as far as 1770 in written documentation and is believed to have been "invented" in 164 B.C. and Tempeh, originating in the 12th century in Indonesia.

None of those things are bad for you, especially not in moderation, and neither is Quorn, FieldRoast, Tofurky, or any other plant based protein product... although they can be a bit high in sodium and calories for the size of the product.

• BewitchedBelinda99
    Thanks, I will check the labels of things. I'm not keen on salty stuff. I've never heard of fieldroast and tofurky! Need to do more research! I am in the UK if that makes any difference though. :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Thanks, I will check the labels of things. I'm not keen on salty stuff. I've never heard of fieldroast and tofurky! Need to do more research! I am in the UK if that makes any difference though. :)

It might, I know these items are readily available in the US, but I don't know about elsewhere. I'm sure there is something similar if they aren't, though.
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Was just reading something and wondering if I may be a pescetarian instead? I eat fish still. I also intend to eat eggs. Lol. I'm confused.
  • C_Duffin
    C_Duffin Posts: 5 Member
    Was just reading something and wondering if I may be a pescetarian instead? I eat fish still. I also intend to eat eggs. Lol. I'm confused.

- not confused at all - you are an omnivore.

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member

I'm not sure why pescartian is a "thing" because I always saw fish as meat. I remember questioning my parents during lent as a child why fish wasn't considered meat...never got a clear answer...

• Booksandoceans
    Booksandoceans Posts: 38 Member
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 15 and my son has been one since he was in my womb.
  • Booksandoceans
    Booksandoceans Posts: 38 Member
    Check out the happy herbivores group if you do become vegetarian or vegan.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    I'm an "almost vegetarian." Just picky I guess. Typically prefer non meat items. Add me if you like.
  • snehac348
    snehac348 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi guys.. I'm a pure vegan and I'm struggling to find protein in foods.. Add me too. Thank you
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Yes I guess fish is still meat. I'm going to call myself a semi vegetarian then! :smile: x