Mmm...beer.

Options
I went on a tour of the Dogfish Head brewery in Milton, Delaware on Saturday. Now, I haven't been drinking much beer lately because of the calorie value. I've tried "lower calorie" beers but they're pretty terrible, IMO. Good craft / micro brews win, high calories or no. I was VERY impressed with DFH, and highly recommend their brews to any beer fans out there (beer snobs, well, you probably already know the DFH line-up). Most of their brews pack about 150-300 cals/pint with the exception of one of their imperials which clocks in at a whopping 600 calories per pint (and an extremely high APV).

Now...I know what you're thinking...WHY is someone advocating the consumption of (very) calorie-laden brews on a diet website?

Quality over quantity. I had been avoiding beer because of its higher calorie count, but decided it's something to add to the list of "moderation." It's a nice, refreshing treat and something for me to look forward to on the weekend. I can easily have 1-2 and feel completely satisfied. And at roughly $50 USD per case for seasonals, it's not something you want to gulp down in a weekend ;)

Beer fans...eat, DRINK, and be merry :drinker:

(Also, note for the beer snobs, Dogfish is releasing a run of its 120 minute IPA. Scuttle at the brewery was that it'll be available very soon...though, unfortunately, it's available only in a select number of states. Another note: if you're in Delaware, stop by the brew pub to try the 'Tweason Ale. It's a gluten-free strawberry ale that's probably one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted. It's also ONLY available at the brew pub and was brewed in a very limited batch.)

Replies

• ericaq
    ericaq Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for passing the word about the 120 min IPA. My husband is a big fan! We love DFH!

p.s. in moderation is just fine. especially, as you said, you're choosing quality over quantity.
  • hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    They left Indiana :(
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    RiverHorse (Lambertville, NJ) is another good microbrew... tiny tiny brewery but if you visit you can purchase a "sampler" for like $5pp and they let you try everything that is currently on tap. :wink:
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Did the Brew Masters reality series on Discovery about the Dogfish Head brewery get canceled? I was DVR'ing it but no new episodes have appeared in many months.