How to swing a sword?

Options
Hello everyone!
On my previous post many of you suggested to seriously start weight lifting and so I began, following some simple and progressive plans I found on the internet.

I read that there are different "ways" to weigh lift. Like 5x5 or 15x3 or until exhaustion. I'm not sure what should be the best plan for me for body recomposition.

For the moment, anyway, I'm just asking for a more specific advice.
See, my hobby is medieval sword and I've been fighting for one year now. Problem is, I can barely hold the sword with one arm. Swing it properly is impossible, as my lack of strenght results in an out-of-control thrust everytime.
Next year we will start to fight with shield and sword, and I'm really worried I won't be able to manage it, above all with the full armor on.

So the question is: what kind of weight lifting should I do to manage this sword swinging? Should I use heavier weights and do less reps, or a lot of reps and lighter weights? Should I lift quickly or slowly?
I want to improve strenght and also "energy" and speed.

Any help or tips would be really appreciated! Anyone else fighting?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what lifting program would be best, but swords require both strength and muscle endurance, so both high rep and low rep could be beneficial. I know the best thing to get good at something is to practice it. Get a lighter sword, even a styrofoam one would do, to master the movements then progress gradually to heavier swords until you are able to wield your sword of choice easily.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Titaggg wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    On my previous post many of you suggested to seriously start weight lifting and so I began, following some simple and progressive plans I found on the internet.

I read that there are different "ways" to weigh lift. Like 5x5 or 15x3 or until exhaustion. I'm not sure what should be the best plan for me for body recomposition.

Pick a plan and follow it, to the letter. Established plans tend to talk a little about the pace/speed of a lift but when they don't that is becuse the speed of movement is much, much less important than moving the weight the specified number of times (reps) and sets.
    So the question is: what kind of weight lifting should I do to manage this sword swinging? Should I use heavier weights and do less reps, or a lot of reps and lighter weights?

Any of the beginner programs (especially barbell programs involving deadlifts) will quickly increase grip strength*, shoulder and core strength (which I'm guessing are the most important areas for heavy sword use - although full body improvement is what you should be striving for)

* When lifting do not use wrist straps to help with grip - you need to train your grip, straps will limit progression in this area.
    Should I lift quickly or slowly?
    I want to improve strenght and also "energy" and speed.

Fast or slow - Whatever it takes to move the weight. As you get stronger you will then have more control over the sword and so will be able to move it quicker/slower/with more accuracy.

It's also worth pointing out that in order to develop the strength and skills required to perform well in a sport, practicing that sport often is, arguably, the best tactic. Cross-training (training in another discipline to improve performance in your chosen discipline) is important and can help in progression and minimize over training but if you want to be a better high jumper, you high jump -a lot. In your case the weight training would appear to be your cross training to help you get better at sword-fighting. So, you should be doing a lot of sword-fighting and sword-fighting drills.

Finally, if you want to get stronger quickly, calories are your friend. There is much strength gain to be had from neuro-muscular adaptation (better muscle recruitment during exercise) but once you've made all the gains possible in that area (and you've been sword-fighting for a year now so I would expect that this is the situation that you're in) the only way you're going to get stronger is by building more muscle. That is going to be slow to impossible on a calorific deficit. To grow you need an excess. So eat up.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you aren't strong enough to hold/swing a sword, ANY strength training is going to help. Pick a solid overall plan, there are many and follow it. I would pick something with reps in the 5-15 range, so that should give you lots of options. Also have you ever thought of mace training. Google it if you don't know. Seems like there would be lots of transfer.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I thought that medieval swordsmansip was mostly two handed as opposed to fencing which is one handed.
  • Titaggg
    Titaggg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I thought that medieval swordsmansip was mostly two handed as opposed to fencing which is one handed.

Nope, the period we reenact is 1200, they used a single-hand sword and a shield mostly. I actually look quite grotesque using a single-hand sword with two hands :blush:
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If you aren't strong enough to hold/swing a sword, ANY strength training is going to help. Pick a solid overall plan, there are many and follow it. I would pick something with reps in the 5-15 range, so that should give you lots of options. Also have you ever thought of mace training. Google it if you don't know. Seems like there would be lots of transfer.

+1 for mace training. An excellent suggestion.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would start with some standard compound lifts, deads,squats,bench, overhead press. Starting strength or stronglifts 5x5.

Then for something that specific I would include training maybe 2-3x a week for the exact movements you want to do. Not sure how much your sword weighs, but figure that out. You can buy weighted bars or even make your own and make one at a weight where you can swing it with one hand. Proceed to beat the crap out of your training dummy in timed "rounds" like a boxer would. Then, when that training stick feels light, add weight and continue on until you can do it with your full weight sword for the time you think an avg sword fight is going to be.

This should gradually build up your strength while at the same time also build up your endurance as well.

If you think back to the period you are reenacting, I doubt they lifted weights to get strong enough to swing the blade. They got there by swinging said sword.
  • matpsch
    matpsch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recommend setting up a punching bag or some kind of dummy and, like someone mentioned earlier, training with actual sword swinging. I think you're looking at a lot of grip strength and forearm strength so working with some good grips (look up Captains of Crush) and other forearm exercises could help.

For training against a dummy or punching bag, look into getting a Hanwei Practical Knightly Sword from Kult of Athena. It's nice and heavy so would give you some good weight to train with.

I used to be in ARMA which was Renaissance martial arts and our standard weapon was the 2-handed long sword. That stuff is great fun.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I would recommend talking to others in your reenactment group and learning proper technique. I would then recommend swinging the sword. It's a very different movement from just about anything you'll do in the gym.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    I just read this article and I think it has a lot of good points concerning your situation:

https://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/perspectives/just-get-strong-is-wrong/

to cut a long story short it re-enforces the message that you need to train with the sword and consider your other training in that context. I guess, reading back my original reply that this would mean focus more on sword training and much less on the strength, barbell work.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've always thought that to get stronger at something specific you do that specific thing but on top of core progressive compound lifts

In for video of you bringing a medieval sword to the gym :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Beats me, but maybe they have something like this where you are (I keep getting Groupon offers for it): http://www.fortezafitness.com/
    Through the study of Armizare, you will learn:

A 600 year old fighting art, tested on the battlefield by generations of medieval warriors;
    A solid foundation in natural, elegant movement and universal body mechanics;
    How to wield a wide variety of swords, daggers and polearms, in and out of armour;
    Combative integration – learn how to move from weapon range to grappling range, and how to fight with and against diverse weapons in dissimilar combat scenarios;
    The evolution of the many tools in the knightly arsenal;
    The history of our tradition and the stories of its most famous (and infamous) students;
    The ethical system of chivalry, in theory vs. practice, and its evolution over time.

Forteza is the home studio of the Chicago Swordplay Guild, an internationally renowned organization that offers two distinct tracks of historical fighting arts from Medieval and Renaissance Italy (1350 – 1650). Ranking is based on a traditional system of licensing used by fighting guilds found throughout late medieval Europe.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest working out with the sword to get better with the sword. No need to stop the weights, but if you want to get good at something, practice the thing you want to get good at. IDK if this is an option for you but I've found that splitting wood with a maul also helps with sword work.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Overhead press and more shoulder work, but honestly just get on a program and get stronger by sticking with it. Funny enough, there's an instrument some of use to help shoulder mobility that is swung around like a sword, but the weighting is at its tip rather than balanced.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just lift.

But the technique with the sword will come only from sword work.

Get a wood sword- practice technique. Then practice with a heavier one. Keep doing it.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add other than: medieval sword fighting? That's freaking awesome!
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'd got with forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 it's a balance of strength and endurance lifting and swing the heck out of that sword as much as you can.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about weights but maybe you can focus on technique with a lighter sword to start, like a foil or sabre? I used to fence (primarily foil) and I remember that having the right technique, even when it came to the stance and leg movements, made a big difference on how well I was able to control my arms. Our instructor had us focus a lot on our core to improve balance and control overall, so in addition to weights, pilates might be something to look into. Also, doing repetitions of lunges even without anything in your hands (or maybe use a small, 5 lb weight) can help improve balance when you're moving into and out of the lunge position.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Just lift.

But the technique with the sword will come only from sword work.

Get a wood sword- practice technique. Then practice with a heavier one. Keep doing it.

I like this idea.

Is there a way your husband can make you up some various light to heavy make shift swords to use for practice. And with him being experienced surely he had loads of ideas on how to train you for improving balance, agility, speed and strength.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so definitely strength training. depends on what you want. weights, body weight, whatever.
    you'll want to work on endurance too. maybe take up swinging poi or staff