Thoughts on body types - specifically endomorphic

Options
I've been reading a lot on body types. Even at my most diligent I still hang on to belly fat. I am very much an endomorphic body type. I've worked with trainers who say cardio cardio cardio. But then I read about the weight loss benefits of weights. I lift heavy 2 times a week (GoodLife Body Pump), swim 2 times per week for 1.5hrs (Sept-Jun), I run, I bike, I hike. Albeit all of these when time allows which is another challenge and another post. No matter what still belly fat. Curious on everyones thoughts. Are endo body type diet suggestions realistic?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    They're not a thing
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    They're not a thing

yep.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It's not a thing and body pump is not lifting heavy
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Are you overweight? If so, only losing weight will help you lose belly fat. That means you need to be in a calorie deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you lose your belly fat with a calorie deficit.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It's not a thing and body pump is not lifting heavy

This all the way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Somatotyping was developed by a psychologist based on people's behavior and not by a physiologist. The fitness industry used it to MAKE UP a thing, so they could sell more programs based on the idea. So it's NOT a thing.

If you have belly fat, it's because you're body fat % isn't in the realm of 20% of lower. Cardio doesn't burn fat the way "trainers" think. Cardio burns calories, most of it first from glycogen and even after then, a small percentage of fat during duration of the exercise. Light weights done with multiple reps (15 or more) and sets build muscle endurance. Great for endurance, but still not utilizing fat stores the way people lead you on to believe.

You want to lower body fat? Eat at a moderate calorie deficit CONSISTENTLY and make sure you get enough rest and sleep (where you burn the most body fat).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There are lies, damned lies and somatotypes

:)