Should you put your fruits & veggies in your diary?

Options
I've heard since fruits and veggies do not have many calories and your body uses more calories to digest them, should I be putting them in my diary? I have been so far but I don't know if I should keep doing it or not.

Replies

• abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely keep them in there. Not only is it nice to just have a complete record of what you've eaten that day (at least for me I like having that :P), but since fruit does have carbs and sugars; you're also going to want to track that.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do.. but it always puts me over on my limit :(
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you hear, especially regarding foods and your diet. Put them in.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've heard since fruits and veggies do not have many calories and your body uses more calories to digest them, should I be putting them in my diary? I have been so far but I don't know if I should keep doing it or not.

Most fruit have quite a bit of calories as they contain a lot of sugar.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You should track everything you eat or drink that has calories. That's how MFP works. You can't know how much you're eating, and whether or not you're hitting your calorie goals, unless you track all of it.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thats just a myth with most fruits/veggies. I think the only one that really works is celery.

I would log every fruit and veggie you eat, for sure.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes once more for good measure. There is no such thing as "free food". A medium apple has 80 calories and a medium banana about 110 calories. If you eat one of those each day, that's 1330 calories per week you aren't tracking. That's not even counting the other fruits and vegetables you are (hopefully) eating. People are having difficulties on the new Weight Watchers Plus plan for this reason. You can't eat all of the fruits and vegetables you want, on top of another 1200+ calories and expect to lose weight.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight if you eat 3,000 calories of strictly fruit and vegetables a day.

Log all of it.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I log in all of mine...10 calories is 10 calories
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Yes, i record the fruit and veg that i eat :). it just keeps me aware of the calories i get left haha!:D
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is mfp, not weight watchers. a calorie is considered a calorie no matter it's source, even the 2 calories of spinach I had in my lunch. I eat a crap ton of fruits and veggies in a day, probably at least 400 calories worth, I'd go over by about 1/3 of my base calories per day if I didn't log them and was still trying to reach 1340 calories.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Log everything :smile:
  • hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You gotta track those! Like before-mentioned, they have carbs and sugars in them. Thankfully, they're the good sugars and carbs, but they do add up. The whole "negative calorie" isn't exactly honest . . .
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It's not always just about the calories, but also to see what you eat during the day. Trends of time and consumption, periods of life where you felt stressed and ate differently, or happy and ate differently. The food diary stays there, you can always look back on a day. The more you fill in about how you feel/what you eat/how you moved that day, the better picture you paint as you look back and see what worked well and what didn't.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I log everything because all of it counts!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't see any reason why you wouldn't. If you are watching nutrition as well as calories you definitely should. I think I'd be under on calories everyday if I didn't log my veggies.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    What good is a Food Diary if you don't LIST Everything...There is Even a Place to List Water! Everything is Important. Also, Fruit has high sugar and there a many high carb/glycemic veggies. Don't be fooled!
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    SOME veggies you could probably get away with not tracking after you're familiar with which ones are VERY low-cal (lettuce, spinach, etc) but you should be logging all your fruit for sure. Just a couple of servings of fruit can account for 10% of your daily calories so yes, they count!
  • Summer_Rose
    Options

You must be referring to the new weight watchers plan, fresh fruits and non starchy veggies are Not counted either by their points system or if you're counting calories and go by their plan you can allow yourself 1200 to 1400 calories per day plus the "free" foods. I got this information out of woman's world magazine. I started on this plan and really like it. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • monkeysocks84
    monkeysocks84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I put everything on mine even the no calorie things just so i can still look at fat content etc.