Too Few Calories...

Options
I've been working very hard to lose weight, just like everyone on this site. I workout everyday, I don't eat after 7, and I try to encourage myself. But for some reason, I'm only eating around 800-1000 calories a day. At first I was fine with that, because I thought "hey, I'll lose weight faster." But when I started logging my food here and seeing what it said about too few calories, I got worried. I don't know how to eat more, because I'm just not hungry. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode though.

I never eat breakfast, which I know is a huge problem, but the combination of my medicine making me sick in the morning (I take Metformin for my PCOS) and me being a lazy college kid, I'm rarely even up early enough to have a breakfast.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me? I don't want to have to eat unnecessarily, but I don't want to starve.

Never thought "too few calories" would be a problem before...

Replies

• julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If I am short I eat some almonds or sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are 200 calories for an ounce..so not hard to eat that.
    The cocoa roast almonds are a healthy easy way to fill 100-200 calories.
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    add a protien shake! when you wake up make onne or get the ready to go ones (slimfast or something)
  • firepixie
    firepixie Posts: 65
    Options
    Whole grains (in bread, or a bowl of brown rice, etc), beans, avocado. It's not just about the calories. I don't think you can get all the nutrition you need eating so few calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble reaching your calorie goals try the following:
    -Stop eating diet or lite versions of food
    -When option for Milk products (cheese, milk, yogurt,etc) opt for a higher MF% choice i.e. switch skim milk to 2%
    -Add nuts, seeds, dehydrated fruit and/or nut butters to you day instead of a low cal snack
    -Add olive oil to soups and sauces
    -Add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    -Have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water.
    -etc.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    High calorie healthy snacks are the way I get there. Almonds are a good example. Olive oil in your salad, one tablespoon is already 110 calories. Avocado.
  • queenofthemountains
    Options
    Hello!
    Breakfast is really important because it has been proven to reduce the need for snacks later in the day, and research shows that those who breakfast are more likely to lose weight and keep it off, and also reduce their risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. If you could find your way to squeeze in a breakfast, that would be great. Often it's quite hard to get a habit going, but that's all it is - they reckon it takes about 3 weeks to form a habit, and once there, it should stick a lot easier.
    I've been reading too many medical journals. I do apologise!

xxx
  • nikki3337
    nikki3337 Posts: 19
    Options
    I did the same thing for a few months! I lost weight at first then I hit a plateau. So now I try and get up to 1100-1200 calories a day, even though it is hard sometimes because i'm not always super hungry. I also switch up my routines at the gym too. I'm in college myself, so I understand it's hard finding time to eat, but for breakfast i'll usually grab a granola bar or a yogurt for my way out the door. Good luck! :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Many people have a hard time keeping under 2000 calories so it can't be that difficult, can it? :ohwell: I say this because I have trouble sometimes, too. I think we get ourselves into the mode where we can't have anything "fattening" and it's hard to see how we can eat enough of these foods to get in all of our calories. Rearrange your thinking. I can't see your diary so excuse me if I'm stating things you already are/aren't doing.

Avoid "diet" foods. Use whole mayo, drink whole milk. Drink 100% fruit juice for some extra calories and some vitamins and minerals.

Cook with olive oil instead of a spray.

Add avocado to salads and sandwiches.

Try a protein shake or fruit smoothie in the morning. You may find that you have an easier time with liquids than solids when you're nauseous.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Chronic lack of appetite can be a signal of severely decreased metabolism. A couple of threads that may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

One issue that may cause you trouble is the PCOS. It can make weight loss more difficult, and for SOME women, they need a SLIGHTLY lower cal goal because PCOS tends to alter the base metabolic rate. However, we're talking a difference of maybe 100-200 cals less --- so 800-1000 would still be too few.

Ultimately, because you have a medical issue and take medication for it, it WILL require you being more consistent, more accurate, and probably will necessitate eating more cleanly than other people might be able to get away with. It's not fair, but it's a fact that you'll have to adjust to and just be prepared to work a little harder.

As for how to increase cals in a healthy way:

Planning is key. Focus on balanced macros (protein/fat/carbs) in each meal/snack. Start with making sure to eat at least 3 meals a day. Breakfast is important when you're trying to overcome a habit of irregular eating or underfeeding. Once you've adjusted to that, add in snacks. Then, gradually increase the amount of cals in each meal/snack. Just 50 cals more for each meal/snack adds up. If you know you'll be working out, increase cals throughout the day.

If you're not feeling hungry, a good way to increase cals without much volume is healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters (almonds, pistachios, walnuts), and avocados. Also, I would stay away from "low cal" or "low fat" options. Partly because you want to increase cals, and partly because those foods are usually processed and not nutrient dense, and the cals or fat they take out is replaced by sugar (real or substitute) and sodium - not a good trade off. A fruit smoothie, protein shake or chocolate milk are good cal boosters, because drinking cals can be easier than eating when you aren't feeling hungry.

Typically, it may be hard for a few days or a week, but your body will adjust to the increased intake and you'll find it isn't an issue for long. Eating a bit more will truly help your metabolism, and your appetite will increase with it.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    "starvation mode" - the medical literature that I've read puts starvation mode at 400 to 500 cals/day. Like you, I was very obese and I was on a diet of 800 to 1000 cals/day and that diet worked for me. Very well.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

In addition, there are hundreds of thousands of people here in SoCal who have lost weight on a diet of 800-1k cals/day so it's not necessarily the calorie level. Perhaps it's the foods that you're eating rather than the calories?

Another factor - 6 meals a day. I don't particularly like my mother and much of what she said was just silly but she was absolutely right when she said we should eat lots of small meals instead of three large ones.

The logic behind it (as told by my GF who runs the largest of the 44 weight loss clinics mentioned above) is that by feeding your body small meals, it responds by keeping the metabolic rate up. If you're not eating after 7 and then not eating 'til, perhaps mid-morning, your body will respond to the 14 hour "fast" by dropping the metabolic rate. That's why it's called "breakfast" because you "break the fast".

In contrast, I eat a "snack" every night and, from what she tells me, my metabolic rate is so high, my skin is noticeable warm to the touch when I sleep (OK, that just means that I didn't die but I think you get the picture!).

How has this worked for me?

Might I suggest that you continue at your calorie level but that you eat 6 meals a day. Give it a month and see how it works for you.

There are good reasons to eat 1200, 1400, and 1600 calories a day (or whatever) but lots and lots of people lose weight quickly and safely eating quite a bit less.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    premade soft boiled eggs, an ounce of full fat cheese, a slice of whole wheat bread, and an apple are an easy grab and go breakfast that would help get you up to 1200 and would keep in a college dorm fridge. avocado is a great source of healthy fats, as is hummus, and they make a great spread on sandwiches to add a little something extra to your meals. Bananas, blueberries, and cherries and some of your tastier higher calorie fruits (and bonus, cherries are awesome in chicken salad or on regualr salads if you're into that). An handful of nuts is also a heathly quick source of calories. Leave the low fat yogurts on the shelf and grab the regular ones. Give your self a treat from time to time if you're not doing so already.
  • karenyg
    karenyg Posts: 79
    Options
    I was in the same situation as you, I started drinking Special K protein shakes in the morning, for snack I had Special K snack bars or trail mix, I do eat some fattening stuff to make my calories because my body stayed in starvation mode with eating and exercising for a long time. I couldn't understand with all the workout I did and what I ate I wasn't losing the weight I thought I should. It took me a year to lose 12lbs. When I see I am no where near my calorie intake at the end of the day, mostly because of my workout, I will eat 1 cup of trail mix which is 300 calories. Sometimes I do this twice a day for snack. Don't give up, learn from others on My Fitnesspal.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat first thing in the morning because of your medication, and you aren't eating after 7, there are only so many hours in the day left! Personally, I don't go in for not eating after a certain time; it just makes me grouchy and prone to accidentally stuffing my face with everything in site; and so far as I'm concerned a calorie is a unit of energy and it doesn't matter if I take it in at nine in the morning or nine at night (as I'm just about to). It doesn't seem to be preventing me from losing weight, so you could always consider allowing yourself to eat a bit later...
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    How about
    Health Valley Organic - Blueberry Cobbler Cereal Bar 130 cal (sugar 16)
    1/2 a banana 53 cal (sugar 7)
    Hard boiled egg (made 6 yesterday ahead of time) 53 cal (sugar 1)
    2 cups black coffee 16 cal (sugar 0)
    For a Total of 277 calories (Total sugar 24)

It was fast, easy, didn't heat up the kitchen on this hot day : )

Take metformin with a meal, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Some forms of metformin are taken only once daily with the evening meal. Follow your doctor's instructions.

Has your doctor told you to not take this with a meal?
    Hmmm maybe too much sugar with the above meal. What has your doctor suggested you eat?
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    add a protein shake! I do one for breakfast usually with frozen fruits or fresh fruits! sometimes though I dont get enough calories so MFP says after I amped up my workout and Im not sure what else to eat cause Im not hungry
  • ChikyLee
    ChikyLee Posts: 28
    Options
    How about
    Health Valley Organic - Blueberry Cobbler Cereal Bar 130 cal (sugar 16)
    1/2 a banana 53 cal (sugar 7)
    Hard boiled egg (made 6 yesterday ahead of time) 53 cal (sugar 1)
    2 cups black coffee 16 cal (sugar 0)
    For a Total of 277 calories (Total sugar 24)

It was fast, easy, didn't heat up the kitchen on this hot day : )

Take metformin with a meal, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Some forms of metformin are taken only once daily with the evening meal. Follow your doctor's instructions.

Has your doctor told you to not take this with a meal?
    Hmmm maybe too much sugar with the above meal. What has your doctor suggested you eat?

I'm supposed to take 1500mg of Metformin a day, with my meals (so 3 times a day). Right now I'm only taking 500mg because I've been getting so sick. I'm trying to train my body to get used to the pill before I take the higher dosage.

And my doctor hasn't really suggested food for me. I still go to my pediatrician and he's not used to having patients with PCOS. One of my sorority sisters who has PCOS told me not to eat red meat, but that's all I've been going off of.
  • LaurenRose19
    Options
    SANDY!! :D I've stopped eating red meat too (and I'm definitely stopping once I get home) did you talk to your doctor about Metformin ER yet? I don't have those problems and my doctor said it helps with the sickness stuff :) just a suggestion!! and that breakfast sounds yummy!! I looked it up and red meat isn't good for us to eat but I mean in little doses its not as bad