More info please on Jillian Michaels 30 day shred...

Options
I see groups about 30DS on here all the time, but I don't really know what it's all about! My hubby and I are thinking about adding it to our exercise plan,but I want to hear more about it first. Tell me what it's like, pros/cons, ANY INFO WILL BE HELPFUL.... Thanks!

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    It's amazing! I was in a 30DS group....We did it for 30 days on any level. To see the results was amazing. Ive been thinking about doing it again. And the support within the group was awesome.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like it. It is 27 minutes (give or take) and it is a hard workout. Simple and easy movements, like squats and jumping jacks, etc. Don't need to have a lot of equipment, just some canned goods/or hand weights, a mat if you have a hard floor, and that is it.

I find it easy to squeeze into a busy schedule. Although I find her very annoying, I just mute the tv and turn on music.

If you commit, results come fairly quickly.
  • kg006
    kg006 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done the video and really like it. It's great for people don't have a lot of time to workout. I did it for 30 days and really saw a big difference in my body tone. I'm planning on starting it again soon.
  • mxmandani
    mxmandani Posts: 109
    Options
    I just started it, so I can't tell you much about it. However, I am sore (this is my first day), and the workout got me sweating. I loved it!

I used ten pound weights instead of the five pounds though.......... Just something to think about for your husband!
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i LOVE 30DS. its pretty much the only exercise i have been doing since i started this journey. i can't find an excuse not to fit 25 minutes of exercise in my day. The workout is circuit training, so there is a warmup, then 3 circuits each made up of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of abs, then a cool down. and no resting. she is brutal but the results are amazing. i just started doing Ripped in 30 as well to change it up and love that one, too!

good luck!
  • courtneylwatson
    courtneylwatson Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing it. It is a circuit training dvd split into 3 levels, you do level 1 for 10 days, level 2 for 10 days, and level 3 for 10 days. Each level is less than 30 min long. We started this after only barely exercising for the last few weeks and nothing before that. We are on Level 1 Day 8 and are starting to see results. Look up the thread 30 day shred before and afters to see pictures of other peoples results.
  • shanislim
    shanislim Posts: 4
    Options
    It is a challenging workout that includes three circuits that contain 3 min cardio, 2 min strength and 1 min abs. There are 3 levels of this...each workout is 30 minutes. You can do it in your livingroom with a pair of hand weights and a mat if you have hard floors. It is nice to do to switch up your regular workout or if you need something quick. Pro..the video is cheap and you feel like you get a good workout..con...Jillian's voice gets on your nerves after the first week and so you want to turn the volume down if you can. Hope that helps :)
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yey!!! New Shredders!! I hope you will love it as much as I and alot of MFP Friends do!

Heres my Blog : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tinalatina I talk ALOT about the shred and the different levels.

If you have Comcast Infinity you can also view the workout on the "ON DEMAND" section un excercise & fitness. Let me know if you decide to jump on the band wagon...I'd love to help support!

Happy Shreddin'!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's a DVD that is separated into 3 different levels. You are supposed to do each level for 30 days. All you need in order to follow along is 3lb hand-weights and a mat (if you are doing the exercising on a hard surface floor).

It's a great workout - I am on Level 2 and even though it's a significant jump up from Level 1, it feels like a workout you can totally do because it is only 20 minutes. Very easy to fit 20 minutes into your schedule. AND, it is circuit training. So, you do 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. You do this circuit 3x - and that is your 20 minutes. Just when you feel you can't possibly push yourself any more, it's time to go into cardio or back to strength or whatever.

It's a great, inexpensive investment that offers results.
  • ckncj
    Options
    It is a challenging workout that includes three circuits that contain 3 min cardio, 2 min strength and 1 min abs. There are 3 levels of this...each workout is 30 minutes. You can do it in your livingroom with a pair of hand weights and a mat if you have hard floors. It is nice to do to switch up your regular workout or if you need something quick. Pro..the video is cheap and you feel like you get a good workout..con...Jillian's voice gets on your nerves after the first week and so you want to turn the volume down if you can. Hope that helps :)

HAHAHAHA @ Jillian's voice!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love it because it is 20 minutes long ( or close to it), intense, works all sorts of muscle groups, gets your heart rate going, and the results are terrific!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's a circuit training DVD including 3 min of strenght, 2 min of cardio, 1 min of abs. You do this three times with different exercises. All you need is some room to move around, two hand weights, and a mat if you prefer for the abs. It has three different levels, it is recommended to do each level for 10 days. Some people mix it up though. It's up to you.
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's similar to circuit training. You will need hand weights and a mat. She works you through 3 courses (for a 20 minute workout) of a system she has devised with:

3 minutes cardio (jumping jacks, punches, etc.)
    2 minutes strength training (weights)
    1 minute abs (floor mat)

for each course. The program has 3 levels and offers modifications of the exercises at each level. She works the major muscle groups in a way that will allow you to workout everyday for 30 days without a break in between, if you choose.

For most people, it seems hard at the very beginning but your strength and cardio increase as you continue the program. Most people note that they lose inches as opposed to weight.

Hope that helps.
  • Louisemyers29
    Louisemyers29 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 days in now and LOVE it! I do like Jillian Michaels a lot too though so I think that helps.
    I can already see the difference and as I can feel my fitness level rising I realise I'm almost doubling the amount of exercise the girls on the DVD are doing. (A clever tactic with a faster music beat methinks).

It really is bog standard basic beginners stuff in terms of the exercises but it's not easy! I forgot to take my make up off tonight before starting my work out and have lovely panda eyes now thanks to all of the sweating.

As it's not a long work out it really is easy to fit in every day. For me this is to give my fitness levels a proper kick in the *kitten* as I have P90X to do after this.

I would recommend this and if you try it out I hope you enjoy it! :happy:
  • ckncj
    Options
    Yey!!! New Shredders!! I hope you will love it as much as I and alot of MFP Friends do!

Heres my Blog : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tinalatina I talk ALOT about the shred and the different levels.

If you have Comcast Infinity you can also view the workout on the "ON DEMAND" section un excercise & fitness. Let me know if you decide to jump on the band wagon...I'd love to help support!

Happy Shreddin'!

Just checked out your blog! LOVE IT!! I'm a few days behind you on the shred. Keep up the good work. (And it was great to read that I wasn't the only one who went from "kinda sweating" on Level 1 - to being DRENCHED on Level 2.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    Where do you get the dvd?
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Where do you get the dvd?

you can get it at Target for like $10!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am planning on starting tonight. The thing I'm wondering is how many calories I will burn per session???
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Is 30DS only effective if you do it every day for 30 days? I have it as a backup workout on bad days, but tbh, I never really use it. Would it be better than lifting and jogging at a gym?
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am a dude and my wife and I enjoy doing the 30 day shred dvd together, so you and your husband may enjoy it too! :-)

Its a short 20 minute circuit workout for strength, cardio, and abs. Its a good workout, even for a guy. We like to complete the dvd before or right after our other cardio workouts everyday.