Stabbing pain in side while running?

Options
Hey everybody,
I started running in the spring nd I was doing well, but now every time I run I get this stabbing pain in my lower left abdomen. It's not cramps. It happens after maybe 2 mins only and I have to stop because continuing makes it worse. Walking is fine. At first I thought it was just dehydration but even at the beginning of a run when I'm watered I get it.

Any idea what this is or how to stop it?? I want to run but it HURTS!

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    focus on your breathing when you are running.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Side stitches. It's a running phenomena that scientist don't full understand other than its a diaphragm spasm. Since the diaphragm works hard during running, it's thought by some to be caused when the diaphragm muscles fatigue. It's a plague on runners. Stop, take deep controlled breaths. Some people say massage the area from ribs to sternum to help relax the muscle.
  • katyjay2014
    katyjay2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've never had it this bad before but I guess I haven't been running as hard before. Figured it was something simple. Thanks!!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I used to get terrible ones when I ran cross country in high school. Extending your arms above your head and taking a few, deep controlled breaths is how my coach taught me to alleviate them.

Do you get the hiccups a lot? I always did as a kid and that is also a diaphragm spasm. I always thought it could be related.