Tips?

Options
Does anyone have any tips for losing weight that really worked for them and helped them? I do not lose weight easily and my body doesn't react to exercise like I would like it to. Everything takes a billion years for me.)

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Use a calorie calculator online to determine your TDEE (height, weight, age, activity level, etc). Then eat 80% of those calories. (i.e. 2000 cal TDEE x 80% = 1600 calories).

Count calories. Write them down, use a spreadsheet, remember in your head, etc. Track your calories because if you don't you'll most likely overeat.

You don't need to exercise to lose weight, but it definitely helps. 2-3 times a week is doable for most people. Do some weight lifting as well to build a little muscle. You won't turn into Arnold by lifting 2-3 times a week at a moderate level which is what a lot of girls worry about.

Try to simply eat healthier stuff overall. Extremes are generally not sustainable. Continue eating the foods you like, but make smart subtitutions. For example, at Wendys get a grilled chicken sandwich and baked potato rather than a burger with everything and small fries. Don't be afraid of fats like nuts, avocado, etc. They keep you full longer.

I also cut out liquid calories as much as possible. No pop, minimal juice, limited alcohol intake, etc.

Finally, I still eat junk food sometimes and have treats like ice cream and cake. Unless you're entering a bodybuilding contest, you can afford to treat yourself now and then. If youre still eating the foods you enjoy, it wont feel like a diet or cutting back as much.

That's what has worked for me over the years. Good luck!
  • _balayboa
    _balayboa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eating foods high in protein and taking fiber supplements helped me in the past and I'm doing that again currently :)
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My best tip: accept that losing weight takes time.

Make changes to your eating and moving habits that you can sustain.
    Keep doing these things for the long term (monitor and adapt as needed over time) and you will lose weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It takes a while. Be patient.
    Perhaps take measurements and pictures now so that you can see your weight loss even when the scale is not cooperating.
    Find a good progressive weight lifting routine. You will be rewarded by seeing your body shape improve. B)
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! Your input is greatly appreciated! I'm in a terrible rut and any help is welcomed with OPEN ARMS.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Great tips above! Something besides logging that really has helped me was a fitness tracker. It really has motivated me to see how active I can be and add those exercise calories in. Good luck on your journey!! It is so worth it!