Knee Injury

Options
I banged up my knee a few weeks ago. Thought maybe just some bruising. But after seeing my doc yesterday and getting x-rays this morning, it seems to be a bit worse than I thought.

The Doc told me no running (boo), biking, or anything that requires extending my knee too far or impact.

Any suggestions for decent cardio exercises that will help me not fall into a really lazy rut and keep me from gaining weight?

I've also re-vamped my diet (after a few days of being REALLY bad lol) to compensate for the lack of calorie burning from my usual 4-5 days of running.

I am going to start walking, but was wondering if there were any other ideas.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You might be ok on an elliptical/cross-trainer, but not sure what extending your knee too far is. Otherwise there's swimming if you kick your legs straight like for front crawl, instead of breast stroke kick.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is a good machine that doesn't allow full knee extension unless you set it to be that way. Also not a lot of impact on that machine.

After working out, be sure to use ice to calm down any inflammation that might be caused from the activity.
  • Ptarmigan74
    Options
    I sprained my knee in January, and even last week, the elliptical caused my knee to extend too far. Maybe I just did it wrong or not carefully enough, but I can't recommend it. Perhaps cycling (stationary or otherwise)?
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Total Body Solutions is a good workout for those with injuries. Msg me if you'd like a link to the DVD
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

I appreciate it!