Eating disorder(binge eating-bulimia)...uggh help please

Options
Well i started off at 200 pounds ...and worked out almost everyday for r a year and a half until i got to 118. When i got to be about 150 thats when this eating disorder started.. when i got to 118 i was so unhealthy and starved and had alot of medical problems. now 2 yrs into this i have gained alot of weight back because i really dont know how to stop binging and purging. its sucks because i really worked so hard to lose all the weight and i know the right way to lose weight but now that my body is so used to this messed up cycle i no longer lose weight from it but i cannot seem to stop and i just keep gaining and gaining . some one please give advice.. i've already had a therapist and tried medicine. i dont need negative comments please

Replies

• oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    I think your best bet is to speak to your doctor and maybe ask for a referral to a nutritionist. I think it's great that you're admitting you need help -- that's the first step! :smile:

Also, use your diary to keep yourself accountable. I binge and knowing that I have to enter every single thing I eat (and that other people can see it!) has made me think twice a few times.
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I deal with this, too. Only thing I can say is reach out for support and use this site when you feel like bingeing or purging. You can't do either when you're typing . . .
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    This is a great place for support. Personally, I'd look @ what is your goal weight. I don't know if you just diet or exercise too. Maybe focus on lookin @ what are some of the foods that are healthy. I've never been a purger bc I hate throwing up, however, I've been a tinsy bit of a binger. I don't know how doctors deal with treating this type of disorder. But personally I'd recommend tryin to redirect your "energy" towards working out. Everytime you feel like you need to binge then purge just go for a run or something. That's the only advice I can give. I've always been the type of person that redirects myself.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    have you tried homeopathic treatment instead of medical? they can usually get to the root of the problems and open your eyes to why your behaving that way.

I had this done recently with regards to my binge eating and why i couldnt stop and turned out i was missing closure from a few chapters in my life. This alone had changed my mind frame and made me realise i didnt need to feel the need to stuff my face because of something that happend in my life a while ago.

You need to be proactive and get yourself the help and advice you deserve. we are all here to encourage you to do well and eat well, it takes time but the first step is asking for help so your on your way already.

Good luck x
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I deal with this, too. Only thing I can say is reach out for support and use this site when you feel like bingeing or purging. You can't do either when you're typing . . .

lol, good point. you poor thing, i know it's hard. i can only say that if you know what's right, then do it. i believe all eating disorders are similar. i use to overeat, and it was hard to stop b/c food was addictive and i did what made me happy food wise which wasn't good for my body. you seem like you have a good head on your shoulders for admitting you need the help. i will pray for you in Jesus name for healing, and that you start to view food as an ally in weight-loss and not the enemy. it is better to be healthy skinny than unhealthy super skinny.
  • pringle83
    pringle83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had this problem 10 years ago, you are best to speak to your local doctor, get someone you can trust to go with you. You need to be strong, its an illness, seriously ten years ago and i still have the odd occasion where i want to do it again, its really hard

good luck
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well i started off at 200 pounds ...and worked out almost everyday for r a year and a half until i got to 118. When i got to be about 150 thats when this eating disorder started.. when i got to 118 i was so unhealthy and starved and had alot of medical problems. now 2 yrs into this i have gained alot of weight back because i really dont know how to stop binging and purging. its sucks because i really worked so hard to lose all the weight and i know the right way to lose weight but now that my body is so used to this messed up cycle i no longer lose weight from it but i cannot seem to stop and i just keep gaining and gaining . some one please give advice.. i've already had a therapist and tried medicine. i dont need negative comments please

Eating disorders can be difficult to treat and usually require a team of a therapist (experienced in ED), a nutritionist and a physician who is familiar with your problem.

There are some great DBT groups online.

I think there is some support on MFP, but that it can also be very triggering. One of my "friends" kept posting about fasting so I deleted her.

Best of luck,

Debbie
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    i've had problems with deprivation in the past also... all i can say is it just takes time to get back to functioning normal again. you need to start eating regularly, and i mean really, really consistently - don't let yourself get to the point where you're starving and your body is freaking out. start eating several really healthy meals a day. and let me emphasize the healthy part - if you're giving your body all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals it needs through whole foods, you won't crave junk food as much and you'll be a lot less likely to binge. i'm not saying deprive yourself of sweets though if that's what you're craving, just make sure your sweets are in a whole, relatively unprocessed form. like dark chocolate, fruit, or whole grain cake/brownies sweetened with dates or applesauce. but really load up on veggies and lean protein, and try to limit your sugar, especially if you have a tendency to binge on it. sugar is addictive and the more you eat the more you'll crave. what your body needs is vegetables!

it's hard at first and you probably will put a little bit of weight on initially, as your body isn't used to getting a consistent supply of calories, but TRUST ME, stick with it and your metabolism will catch up. and if you're eating really healthy, you WILL lose weight eventually. it took me months to start losing weight once i began eating consistently. it's really a very slow, arduous process but losing weight the healthy/long lasting way will always be a slow process.

you can do this, and i promise you'll feel amazing once you start giving your body what it needs. now go give that body some nutrients! :)
  • ashleyd835
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. but whats crazy is i am studying personal training i know all the ins and outs of losing weight. my problem is my obesession with food and thinking i can manipulate situations. its my addiction and some day are better than others and some days are literally jumping off the deep end. as i've said earlier i have seen a doctor and tried medicine. i already know what i doing is wrong. but that doesnt mean i can always control it.
  • seeladyliv
    Options
    I used to struggle with the same problem, and still struggle with the effects of it. I think a lot of it has to do with anxiety about controlling your surroundings (or not being able to). I'm sure you learned all the perils of Bulimia in grade school health class but you really do need to be careful. Because of my addiction to eating and purging I have had to have 13 teeth filled because the stomach acid was destroying them, my tonsils removed because they were permanently swollen due to bacteria, and so many painful stomach ulcers.

Because it has sooo much to do with "control" you should try to focus that anxiety on something else. The past couple of years i have started to run distance. At first I was pretty bad at it but I came to enjoy it and be really good at it. Because I can challenge myself to run farther or faster I feel very in control of my surroundings. In addition because of the the distance I've come to be able to run and the calories I know I'm burning, you are allowed to have that "bad eating day" every once in a while without it affecting your weight.

A lot of people relapse, but you have to remind yourself how strong you are. Being bulimic often leads you to believe you are in control of your eating and weight, but it is actually quite the opposite.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Dumb question, how can you gain ALOT back when most food is purged? Just curious, sorry can't provide help, actually my applause at the self-control people have is not really encouraging to those who's dieting has turned disordered, but I applaud none the less.
  • ashleyd835
    Options
    when your body is in starvation mode. it can absorb calories almost immediately . its not a dumb question at all. i used to ask the same thing but when i did research i found out this usually happens to almost every bulimic person. thats why most bulimics are usually normal or over weight.
  • ashleyd835
    Options
    plus your body retains so much water