3 months to lose 10kgs? Possible? Need tips please

Options
Hey guys,
I have 3 and a half months to shed 20 pounds . I'm more worried as fat is concentrated in my arms and thighs. Please provide your inputs to help me achieve my goals. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to lose 10kg, I went from 84kg to 74kg. If you weigh 90kg or more it will probably be easier to lose that first 10. If you weigh less than that it may take a little more time.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you will lose 10kg in three months... but if you eat at a moderate deficit and add some exercise into your days you will be heading in the right direction.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    depends on how much you have to lose in total.if you only need to lose 10 ,then 3 months will probably won't be enough. 4 is more duable.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you have to lose in total.
    I have a lot to lose and have managed to lose 9kgs in 10 weeks, try and see how you do.
  • EmmaJHare78
    EmmaJHare78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 10.5kg in three months - from 87.5kg to 77kg. You can do it but you have to be strict with yourself. Log everything and no cheat days plus plenty of exercise. I've been on a 1200-1300 a day calorie allowance and exercising five times a week. Plus I cycle 20 mins each way to the station three times a week. I only eat a maximum of 50% of my exercise calories on top of my daily allowance. I lost the first 7.5 kg quite rapidly and the last 2.5kg came off more slowly but it is achievable in that timeframe if you put in the work.

Feel free to message/add me if you want more info.

Good luck!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    why the deadline - what is going to happen in 3 months time that means that you must be 10kg lighter?
  • chrismitu
    chrismitu Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As others have said depends what your starting point is. If you are already lean it will be more challenging than if you carry a lot of excess weight. However 10KG loss in three months is possible.
    I am 7 weeks into my Keto + counting calories regime and have lost 7KG. I am not very overweight to start with and do plenty of exercise. Weekly 3x10KM jogging, 3 weight training sessions and 5 days per week walking to and from the car 3 miles return.

Use MFP to track calories and aim to eat my Resting Metabolic Rate allowance 1800 Calories per day. Half the time I eat more but I try to get out there and do more exercise if I feel I over ate.

Just in case you are not aware of this - loads of examples of people losing plenty of weight on Keto https://www.reddit.com/r/keto

My take on Keto - I doubt there's any magic to it beyond the fact that in my case it keeps the food cravings in check whereas on a normal carb high diet I struggle to control my appetite.

• Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My journey started May 2nd at 83.6kg. I weighed yesterday at 75kg. My goal is 70kg. Not sure where I'll be on 2nd August but it will be 3 months.

I have been mostly strict with my food, weighing and logging everything. But i have also had drinks nights (beer), and blowout days (chocolate), but not many. I think without those days I would be close to 10kg lost, but also without them i reckon i would have struggled to carry on.

It hasn't been easy and the hardest part has been mindset controlling hunger.

For the last 6 weeks i have not been able to go to the gym (bad back disc problems), so its been mostly diet only :|

Good luck to you,

Rick

Edit: Just weighed myself... now 74.9kg!
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can help - I was 92.5Kg (6', male, 42) when I started MFP around - you guessed it, 3 months ago - and today - this very morning, in fact - I weigh 82.5Kg. My diary is open, if you want to see how I did it, but briefly I set a 1Kg/week goal (which I always knew would be ambitious, settling in my mind for 0.5Kg/week) and upped my walking and running. I did this without doing anything particularly different, beyond keeping an eye on what I ate (I tend to be a light breakfaster and luncher, and save my calories to have a large dinner) and keeping to a minimum of 12500 steps a day (which I have achieved, with the exception of illness or injury, every day since starting).

My goal is 77.5Kg at which point I will concentrate more on building muscle, but for now things are going well. I find my Fitbit Charge HR has been a real boost for both motivation and measurement.
  • chrismitu
    Options
    Maybe I can help - I was 92.5Kg (6', male, 42) when I started MFP around - you guessed it, 3 months ago - and today - this very morning, in fact - I weigh 82.5Kg. My diary is open, if you want to see how I did it, but briefly I set a 1Kg/week goal (which I always knew would be ambitious, settling in my mind for 0.5Kg/week) and upped my walking and running. I did this without doing anything particularly different, beyond keeping an eye on what I ate (I tend to be a light breakfaster and luncher, and save my calories to have a large dinner) and keeping to a minimum of 12500 steps a day (which I have achieved, with the exception of illness or injury, every day since starting).

My goal is 77.5Kg at which point I will concentrate more on building muscle, but for now things are going well. I find my Fitbit Charge HR has been a real boost for both motivation and measurement.

Wow! - just looked at your diary for the past week -how do you burn so many calories through exercise? You must be running a lot. At 84KG a 10KM run only burns under 1000 Calories for me.
  • jtcedinburgh
    Options
    chrismitu wrote: »
    Wow! - just looked at your diary for the past week -how do you burn so many calories through exercise? You must be running a lot. At 84KG a 10KM run only burns under 1000 Calories for me.
    OK, I'll take yesterday as a typical day. Up at 0530 and run 7K (~568KCal according to MyFitBit). Walk from station to work: 1K (~100KCal? Not individually logged). Lunchtime, walk 5.5K (431KCal according to MyFitBit). Walk from work back to station: another 1K/~100KCal. Later on, walked the dog to and from the shop: another 1.5K (~150KCal) round-trip. So, total from exercise is around 1250KCal. I'm shooting for 1500KCal per day (1Kg/wk target) but my exercise allowed me to eat more or less normally (~2500KCal) and at the end of the day I was 168KCal under a net 1500, i.e. 1372KCal. Though, to be honest, I don't log salad stuff and I don't count the milk in my coffee etc., so I was probably closer to the target for the day.

It's not difficult to rack up the exercise provided you organise yourself to do a little more. Yesterday, my Charge HR reckoned on 20.8K steps, which is slightly above my average (which hovers around 18-20K). Had I not set my alarm 1/2hr earlier to squeeze in that 7K, I'd have had to have given up on the chocolate bar and wine. That early start seems far more worthwhile when you look at what it 'bought' me :)

HTH!

• jtcedinburgh
    edited July 2016
    Options
    PS. I have a sedentary desk job, so I need to up my game to make this work. I think I'd struggle to achieve significant weigh loss through diet alone, as I'm not particularly overweight (but enough to want to change) :)
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know what your starting weight is but Iv managed to get to 9.7kg in 3 months doing calorie counting. I started at 108kg and now down to 98.3 didn't do much exercise just maybe 1-2 times a week at the gym. I have set myself as sedentary on MFP and put 0,5kg goal which gave me 1700-1800cal and now it's 1600.
    I wasn't particularly strict with myself. We all have good and bad days and I try not to dwell on bad days and would only allow a day or two where I'd eat at maintenance.
    If you are a person with lots to lose then it's doable.
  • chrismitu
    Options
    OK, I'll take yesterday as a typical day. Up at 0530 and run 7K (~568KCal according to MyFitBit). Walk from station to work: 1K (~100KCal? Not individually logged). Lunchtime, walk 5.5K (431KCal according to MyFitBit). Walk from work back to station: another 1K/~100KCal. Later on, walked the dog to and from the shop: another 1.5K (~150KCal) round-trip.
    It sounds like a fair amount of activity.
    I use Google Fit to track my steps, runs and gym sessions and have it sync with MyFitnessPal. Unfortunately MFP ignores the walks and weight training sessions coming from Google Fit. Sounds like I need to get a Fitbit to lose more weight/eat more treats ;-)