Do I have a fast metabolism?

Options
violetpurdy
violetpurdy Posts: 39 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss

I do 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week, as well as 10 minutes of core and leg exercises daily. 6 days of the week I'll do arm and chest exercises, thought I judge this by type of exercise, not time. It's probably about 15/20 minutes, though.

Aside from exercise, I'm out and about often. I run errands like a normal person, swim every so often, go out at night with friends, etc.

I'm a dog bather and I work two days a week at my current job. I'm on my feet for about 7 hours on these days. I carry dogs around, clean up the store, move inventory, etc.

Would it make sense for my metabolism to be fast due to this?

I'm just curious because a month ago I had some stuff going on and was sedentary for two weeks. I also didn't count my calories and ate a lot of food. I got on the scale after the two weeks and saw no weight gain. I was shocked! I knew I ate a lot and didn't move, yet I gained nothing.

It got me thinking that perhaps I've been underestimating how much I burn in a day. What's your take?

Thanks. :)

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    There's really no such thing as fast/slow metabolisms, aside from certain medical conditions.

Unless you were weighing your food, it's likely that you were eating at maintenance still while not realizing, which is something to celebrate none the less. A lot of folks struggle with that aspect of the journey.

If you think you miscalculated how much you can eat, add 100 calories each week until you achieve the rate of loss you would like. But the easiest way to tell if you're eating too little is that your rate of loss is too quick for your goals.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No. Metabolism does not vary significantly across the population. Your daily activity level is high which increases your TDEE.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Metabolism is the conversion of stored energy to usable energy. It occurs at the rate at which it is required by the body . Its not fast or slow per se, its higher or lower depending upon your energy demands at any one time e.g walking uses more than sitting and then you have digestion, healing, growing etc.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Metabolism is the conversion of stored energy to usable energy. It occurs at the rate at which it is required by the body . Its not fast or slow per se, its higher or lower depending upon your energy demands at any one time e.g walking uses more than sitting and then you have digestion, healing, growing etc.

This.

It's the body's version of your cars MPG. Go full throttle you need more full, idle around and you do not use much fuel.