Strength training without weights

Options
Hellooo!

I an trying to come up with a beginner strength training routine for myself. I already do sit ups but I want to add to it. Im thinking squats maybe? And basic push ups but Im not that strong so makes me nervous.

Seen a lot of articles about squats are they actually any good?

I get my cardio by running 3 times a week.

Thanks

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    You can add in squats, lunges, wall pushups (stand slightly away from the wall and do a pushup), full body extensions, burpees, planks, etc. Do a search on UTube and you can find literally hundreds of routines that only use your body weight for strength exercises. And yes, squats are one of the BEST full body work outs you can do.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You are your own gym, convict conditioning, AL kavadlo, begin body weight, all good resources.

This. Whatever you do OP, don't make this up yourself. With all due respect, if you're asking this question, you don't know enough to do it yourself.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Body weight is fantastic. Also, you can get a cheap set of resistance bands (giant rubber bands, with handles) on Amazon.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com has many body weight routines you might like to try.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good bodyweight workouts, and you should absolutely find a program that you can follow, don't make it up on your own.

I used a YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym) program I downloaded on my iPad. It has 4 different levels from Beginner to Expert. I think its about 10-12 weeks for each level. Very good program.

• flowersofhelady
    flowersofhelady Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Iv done some of the fitness blender I
    Workouts from time to time. I found a nice little app called 7 min workout. Thanks for the advice!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I do most of my strength training using resistance bands, using the exercises from here:

http://www.blackmountainproducts.com/exercises/

My routine is to do half of the upper body exercises the first day, half of the lower body next day, then yoga, then second half of the upper body exercises, second half of the lower body exercises, then the abs/core exercises. The 7th day is a rest day.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercise is more GPP - General Physical Preparedness. You will build strength but I would not call it strength training - that is reserved for Olympic weightlifting or other barbell sports (powerlifting, strongman/strongwoman, etc.).

It is good to add a resistance element, though keep in mind you cannot progress the weights as easily as you can say a barbell or dumbbell (i.e. just go up in the weight gradually). You have to be more creative with reps, rest, and difficulty level. You can go from knee push ups, rep them out until you do regular pushups, repeat until you can do clapping push ups, repeat until you can do one handed push ups. Any good program will have progression like that, so when you finally do something that was previously impossible, you will see your improvement clear as day.

I hear good things about convict conditioning. IMO, anything with a pushing movement (i.e. pushups, dips), a pulling movement (i.e. chin/pullups), a core movement (abs), and a legs will be excellent.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    TRX
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    For a home workout this one (below) is effective and simple.
    You can adjust the moves depending on your fitness level. I started with just about all of them simplified: push-ups against the wall etc, and able to do one set. My goal was to complete the routine as written. I got there eventually then started adding weight, complexity or extra moves.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Cheers, h.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You will build strength but I would not call it strength training - that is reserved for Olympic weightlifting or other barbell sports (powerlifting, strongman/strongwoman, etc.).
    Thank you for letting us know that the term "Strength training" has been reserved. I'll be sure to alert the physical therapists that are improperly using the phrase.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    You will build strength but I would not call it strength training - that is reserved for Olympic weightlifting or other barbell sports (powerlifting, strongman/strongwoman, etc.).
    Thank you for letting us know that the term "Strength training" has been reserved. I'll be sure to alert the physical therapists that are improperly using the phrase.

Well, you know all those weak male gymnasts and whatnot . . .

BEfZuxxCAAAIe5w.jpg
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for functional strength as opposed to looks like Tarzan plays like Jane without weights I suggest this (not free but ridiculously cheap) Ross Training Never Gymless ebook. He's the real deal. From beginner to in your dreams strength.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    https://www.gymnasticbodies.com

Their programs are fantastic!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercise is more GPP - General Physical Preparedness. You will build strength but I would not call it strength training - that is reserved for Olympic weightlifting or other barbell sports (powerlifting, strongman/strongwoman, etc.)

Incorrect...

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You are your own gym, convict conditioning, AL kavadlo, begin body weight, all good resources.

Yeah, any of these are good body weight exercise references.