Eating "junk" but not going over calories?

Options
So I was wondering, if you were to have one piece of "junk food", but not be over your calories by any means, would this still prevent weightloss?

Replies

• PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    No. As long as you stay under your calories, you'll be fine. :-)
  • sunfalcon
    sunfalcon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not in my experience. It's all about the calories for me. If I want to eat a Hershey's candy bar with 210 calories, I just have to decide what I'm not going to eat in it's place.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    No, it won't prevent weight loss! If it's high in sodium, it may show up on the scale the next day, but other than that, no.

I eat a little bit of "junk" food every day. Everything in moderation is the key for me.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I think something that's important when 'dieting' or trying to lose weight is not giving everything up. If you completely give up junk food you're likely to just end up gorging on it and eating thousands of calories you don't need. I think junk food in moderation is perfectly fine and will help you lose weight. Just be mindful of how much you have and how often you have it!
  • TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have noticed that when I eat junk for a day but stay within my calories it hurts my weight loss and I often gain weight. Sometimes adding something junk-ish in but being good the rest of the day won't hurt as bad, just my experience though....
  • drbowefisher
    Options
    No it wouldn't....a calorie is a calorie...your body just benefits from different types/combinations of calories! Don't beat yourself up...next choice of calories will surely be a better type of fuel for your body. Think of it like gasoline....when you use the premium fuel types...your engine runs better, longer and more efficiently :)

However....if the junk food calories are high in salt....there is your answer....Same calories, but the increased sodium will most likely cause some water retention thus the increase in weight or the delay of weight loss....everyone is a little different!
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I don't think that eating junk food will stop weight loss - I think it's "calories in < calories out". That doesn't mean that it's good for you to eat junk food, but you'll still lose weight if you're on target with calories. If you eat poorly, you'll become lighter, but more unhealthy.

But still, what exactly did you eat? Recently, I had a large calorie deficit one evening, and I decided to eat a Chili Dog - for old time's sake. Mmmm. Still under calories, so I had no issue with it. I also had other "good" foods that day, as well.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    So I was wondering, if you were to have one piece of "junk food", but not be over your calories by any means, would this still prevent weightloss?

It depends for me. If it is really high in sodium and makes me go over my sodium count, that's worse than going over in calories for me. If you can stick to junk that isn't too high in sugar or sodium and still meet your calorie goal... to me, that is fine. :)
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat anything, but am just wondering. I had a birthday this past weekend and have leftover cupcakes from my cake, so was wondering about eating one after dinner since my calories are looking low anyway. :D
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have Chocolate Friday every Friday and well.....I'll let you look at my ticker. :flowerforyou:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Part of the answer depends on whether your top goal is weight loss exclusively or maximizing your health while attaining and maintaining a healthy weight.

The only cautionary note I would offer is that you would be depriving your body of the vitamins and nutrients it needs/expects within a certain amount of calories and possibly introducing harmful elements such as refined sugars, chemicals sometimes used in processed foods, that can still age you prematurely, contribute to health issues, etc.

If you eat "junk" food occasionally to rarely (1x/week, couple of times a month or less fequently, etc.) there would likely be little impact.

However, if you are looking to eat "junk food" every day or several times a week, I would encourage you to look to see if you can make healther versions of the treats you like, so at least you know what you are consuming verses fast food or processed/packaged items.

Sorry for being a bit of a kill joy on this topic..... just my two cents for what it's worth.

I also agree with szczepj's earlier posting.... trying to eliminate everything at once and making drastic changes may not be the best approach. I think constency is key versus going to extremes, so you'll need to find the balance and the pace of change that works best for you.:smile:
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My wife made a Key Lime cake yesterday, and don't think for a minute I won't have a piece tonight for desert, and probably tomorrow night if there is any left. I told myself when I started trying to lose a little weight, it ain't worth it if I can't enjoy some things that aren't that good for me every once in a while. I have always loved veggies and fruit, but sometimes you need to splurge a little. So far it hasn't hurt my progress, and I think everything in moderation is OK.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having a little indulgence everynow and then, but even if you are under your calories "junk" food can still cause you to gain weight. This happens because of simple sugars. When they enter your body it causes and insulin spike. Insulin plays an extremely large role in storing fat. Whenever insulin is released, glucose stores are stored as glycogen in the liver for energy. This is fine whenever your glycogen stores are depleted after a workout, but if they are full, and insulin is released, the extra glucose will be transported directly into your fat cells.

If you are going to eat "junk" food with high amounts of simple sugars, try to do so after eating a healthy meal. This will not cause an insulin spike nearly as big as if you eat it on an empty stomach.
  • twinkietigress
    twinkietigress Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the moderation ideas also HFCS (found in of course sugary sweets but also hamburger buns etc at fast food joints) and alcohol slow down your metabolism in some ways negating your exercise calories etc.

There is no easy way through it, a splurge now and again works but everyday, you might get thin but you wont be in shape or healthy. Better to get to your perfect weight in a way you can feel good about and not have to worry about heart health etc in the future.

T T
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with sallyh03 in that if you're a sweet-toother (such as I am) making healthier versions of your favorites might be a better option if you know you'll be reaching for the junky snacks fairly regularly. I find that my weekly weight loss is affected by what I eat sometimes, not so much in gaining as in not losing, which is just as frustrating. But then again, I've seen little movement even when I've eaten properly some times so I'm not sure lol.

But yeah, moderation is the key. It's unreasonable to think you'll never enjoy your favorite sweets/snacks/treats ever again in your life, so it's better to learn to eat them in moderation.