Fish!

Options
Not a big seafood eater (texture of it maybe?). I really only like crab legs (dipped in butter of course). I need some suggestions of what type of seafood would be good for a non seafood eating person to try. Also tips on how you cook/season it would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm not a big sea food eater either, but I love Tilapia fillets baked w/some olive oil and pepper. Simple but yummy!
  • darlenewanamaker
    darlenewanamaker Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Tuna, how about whiting filets 70 calories, protein and takes 3 min. in microwave.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    OK, why do you feel you need to add seafood to your intake?

I love it, and can give a ton of ideas, but what is it you want to achieve?
  • LaraineCraig
    LaraineCraig Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chef Michael Smith has a great pan seared whitefish recipe in his book.
    Whitefish is great, very mild flavour for non-seafood eaters.
    And the best part is that his recipe calls for whatever seasoning you like.
    We like to use paprika and curry on our fish. Lots of flavour!
    Enjoy!
  • duvaroo
    duvaroo Posts: 18
    Options
    I might not be the best person because we live on the west coast and eat a lot of fresh seafood. But I think that's the key. Don't buy frozen, and don't buy stuff that wasn't packaged in North America.
    Salmon is amazing...it really doesn't need anything but there are lots of delicious marinade. Just steer clear of the farmed stuff, it tastes terrible and is even worse for the environment.
    Shrimp are also a good start...sprinkle them over salad. Fresh halibut steaks are also great!

Good luck and have fun experimenting!
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    OK, why do you feel you need to add seafood to your intake?

I love it, and can give a ton of ideas, but what is it you want to achieve?

I was told by my trainer I need 2 servings a week for my thyroid function.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    cold shrimp is my favorite

I do make salmon in a sticky sauce with 1t honey 1t garlic diced 1 t low sodium soy sauce 1 t hoisin sauce brush on salmon and bake top with sesame seeds

I also mix 1 t mayo and 1t spicy mustard and brush on salmon to make it more tolerable.

I am starting to really hate fish too these days thanks to eating healthier.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on seafood either... here are the things that I find pretty tasty (without adding a bunch of butter)...

Tuna salad (not the healthiest of the seafood options, but better than nothing).
    Salmon - brushed with [a very little bit of] BBQ sauce and grilled. Sounds odd, but it's pretty good.
    Shrimp cocktail
    Tilapia - pan fried with some cajun seasoning.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Tailpia fully covered with Mrs. Dash Carribean Citrus seasoning and a dash of pepper individually wrapped in foil and baked for 15 to twenty minutes...or until flaky. Delicious. I've found some cocktail sauce by Texas Pete that doesn't bother my sinuses so I would like to suggest that as well.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    We love tuna steaks, on the grill. To enhance the flavor, let it marinade in the fridge overnight (my favorite is simple with garlic and soy sauce). It has a meatier texture than some fish and isn't as fishy as the canned variety.

I also like shrimp pasta. The shrimp is a good lean protein, and with a simple vodka sauce (simple and delicious) but any sauce of you choice will do. I usually add a little olive oil to the pan, then add finely chopped onion and let it sweat. Once almost translucent, I add a bit of crushed/chopped garlic, then put the shrimp in. It cooks very fast. Then I take out the shrimp, make the simple sauce and add the cooked noodles and shrimp - and toss to coat.

We also purchase and grill salmon (in a foil pack with a little bit of butter, lemon juice, herbs and seasoning like Old Bay). It is great on it's own, or over a bed of greens.

Baked Haddock or Pollock is also a good fish to try. I like to put it on a foil lined pan, cut into portion sizes. Each piece then is seasoned with a small bit of butter/margarine, splash of lemon juice, lawry's seasoning salt and dried dill. It is a recipe my mom used to make (and she doesn't like seafood or fish all that much, but likes this.)

We also like imitation crab on salads and in homemade non-sushi rolls. It is way yummy, even without the butter.

Hope this helps.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Large juicy prawns in a stir-fry. Or fried quickly with lemon and black pepper, or garlic, or chilli.

I love crab sticks as a snack.

Cooked peeled shrimp with melon as a starter.

Tin of tuna in a tomato based sauce, with pasta or as a pasta bake.

Fishcakes - mix crab or tuna or other cooked fish with some cooked potato, shape into patties and broil.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My mom says she likes fish as long as it don't taste like fish and i'm like that makes a lot of sense.

Plain fish types that aren't my favorites are Tilapia, Cod, Whitefish, Halibut. I on the hand love ALL seafood and shellfish. Tuna, Salmon and Sardines or any really oily fish are the best for you from a nutritional standpoint.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lots of good ideas here that I actually think I might like. I'll give them a shot! Thanks!