I need to stop snacking in the evening ideas please!

Options
2»

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Snack on vegetables. You can't go wrong, regardless of when you do it.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I save 100 calories for a low calorie frozen chocolate thing after dinner and then I brush and floss my teeth...after that, just vanilla or berry tea.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I leave room for an evening snack in my calories. If I don't need anything, great. If I do, the calories are available.
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I save 200 to 300 calories for the evening and munch on fruit and veggies
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Another evening snacker here. I prelog at either maintenance or a deficit, then eat my exercise cals back as evening snacks. (Except for my bedtime yogurt and hard candies. Those are built in to my pre-logging. Exercise cals are for filling the 6-9pm slot. You can see my diary, if you like:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/CoachJen71 )
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    charkelsey wrote: »
    i struggle badly with this. i can't sleep if i don't eat something and end up screwing up my deficit most of the time. wish i could offer more advice :(

My too! That's what I use my bedtime Greek yogurt for. :)
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was a huge evening snacker.

Harder for those with kids, but we just started eating dinner a bit later. Usually around 6:30-7:30. Doesn't give a lot of time to get hungry and hit the snacks before it's lights out. Dinner around 7ish and I leave 140cal for a protein shake around 9:30. Lights out at 10.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The idea may seem counterintuitive but I just read this article about how to beat cravings. Could be worth a try? Personally I try to budget my calories to include some for evening snacks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4lM8YkdnPc1b6LSHs5LT0tm/the-big-craving-beating-experiment
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eating dinner more late works for me, and If I am really dying for a snack, I eat some fruit like watermelon or berries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    allot some calories daily to evening snacks. portion them out accordingly.
  • katyraab921
    katyraab921 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth right after Dinner - works for me :smiley:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Find something you enjoy more than snacking. Ideally something you can't (easily) do while you snack.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What do you have for a snack. I sometimes have a piece of fruit or a few almonds but as a rule, I try not to eat after 7:00.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Don't fight it, accommodate it. Just set up your last meal as a snack (I do mine at about 8:30 to 9:30), enter a reasonable snack in and then build the rest of your diary with the remaining calories. Also, changing meal times helped me here. Breakfast at 9, lunch at 1 and dinner at 6. Maybe put more of your calories into dinner. One more thing, drink two eight ounce glasses of water 20 - 30 minutes before you eat. It helps fill you up. Good luck.
    Totally agree. I adjust my meals based on my snacks. I like snacking.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this badly. I turn off the lights in the kitchen and close the baby gate. The physical act of closing the kitchen helps mentally shut it down too. I also drink peppermint tea all evening. I make a big pot and put it on the dining table for me to access.
    Since reading about not eating outside of the 8 hour period each day i have lost 8kgs.

So funny. I actually say to myself every night after I eat. "The kitchen is closed. We'll open again in the morning ."