How do others not think about eating?

Options
mom2wessarah
mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
edited July 2016 in Motivation and Support
How do others do it? I've been slightly overweight my entire life, but it's my adult life that's troubling. I've been up and down several times. I don't have an eating disorder, at least I don't think I do, but I have to ask. How do "normal weight" people, people who just stay the same weight without trying, do it?

I'm a night owl. I do some household chores after the kids go to bed, then I have my "me" time, so I'm up late. The other night I was getting the clothes from the dryer and passed by a bag of pretzels. My instinct was to grab the bag so I could "munch" while folding the clothes. But I stopped myself. I mean I really had to say to myself, "Don't do that. You don't need those, you're not hungry." It's not always night eating; this is just an example.

I don't think about food all the time. The bag was there, so I thought about it. However, I know others could have passed the bag without thinking. I always have to make myself stop eating or not grab that snack because it's "there". I have to really make a conscience effort (when I'm not measuring and strictly controlling my portions).

The reason I go up and down is because when my weight is down, I stop making the conscience effort. People say, "This is a lifestyle change. You have to do what works for you." Well, I guess what will work for me is taking it day by day; everyday. I have to remember when I'm at a "normal" weight, I still have to make that effort. I'll have to weight my food always to keep excess weight off.

I envy people who don't have this issue. Those that pretty much can regulate their intake naturally because they don't think about what they eat, yet stay at a stable weight.

Just venting and wondering if there's anyone out there like me who's had permanent success.

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Logging all calories. Knowing you have to weigh and calculate the calories of the food before eating them and checking you have sufficient calories available is enough to stop any mindless munching for me,

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Check out the concept of the "eat watch" popularized by the Hacker Diet. It combines the power of SCIENCE! with practical strategies on how to set your own personal eat watch so that you only eat when you need to, and don't eat more than you need. http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdietf.html

I use this strategy and it keeps me from overeating, especially at night. I've lost 40+ lbs and kept it off for most of a year, and I'm not slipping any time soon.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, not sure if this applies to you or not, but do you plan "treats" into your day? I find when I make sure I leave myself 150-250 cals everyday for whatever strikes my fancy, it reduces a lot of the constant food thoughts. I pre-log my day, leaving that little "snack buffer", and it helps me stay on track.

Having said that, I've been known to plow through a whole bag of PopChips while watching TV without even realizing it!

I don't leave any packages of food out and visible (though that's prob easier for me with no kids). I also try not to eat anything out of the package. I put a bowl on the scale, fill it with 1 or 2 servings of pretzels or what have you, roll up the bag, snap on the chipclip, and put it away. (except of course when I don't! LOL).

When I do make a mistake like the PopChips, I log it, and then I leave it behind. I log it so I can see it in black & white and understand the affect it might have. And I then leave it behind, because guilt could cause me to turn one bad night into a bad week!

The fact that you have recognized when this happens is a great first step! So much of this is a learning process. Don't feel bad about the times you slip - study them and keep trying new ways to avoid them until you get it down to a science. Good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    1. Don't keep fake/junk/fast food in the house. If it is not good for you, your kids don't need either and shouldn't be developing a mindless eating habit that they will have to unlearn later.
    2. Pre-prep and track your meals several days in advance you can just grab and go--no decisions, no hanging out at the fridge. Pre-prep healthy snacks.
    3. When you feel like eating mindlessly, drink instead. I make up quart jars of herbal tea in advance--they are always ready when needed. Coffee helps too.
    4. Treating yourself with food is self destructive. Find other small rewards...nail polish, music, a home spa treatment...whatever feels good to you.
    5. Fill your life with interesting activities so that you are no so bored that you need to fill the empty spaces with food.
  • dabry05
    dabry05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I plan out all my food a day in advance, that way when I wake up I just have it all ready to go, and after a month of doing it last year, my brain has accepted this as normal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,938 Member
    Options
    I don't think about food all the time. The bag was there, so I thought about it. However, I know others could have passed the bag without thinking. I always have to make myself stop eating or not grab that snack because it's "there". I have to really make a conscience effort (when I'm not measuring and strictly controlling my portions).

Put the food away. Make it more difficult to get to. Or don't buy it in the first place.

It also helps me to get involved in doing something else so that I'm not thinking about food. And to plan regular snacks so that I know I am due for my next snack in an hour, and I can hang on till then.

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You're definitely not alone, but everyone's food habits are different, and everyone's tastes and taste wants are different. In our house, I'm a "bakery eater" and my DH is a "salty foods" eater. If there are potato chips here, my DH CANNOT pass them by. He compulsively eats them. For me, they would go stale before I would even think about having maybe even one chip. However, if we had, say, muffins in the house, I could stuff three in a row into my face, and my DH would let them go stale. Of course, I'm sure there are people who are just "any food" munchers. Thankfully I can say I'm not one of them.

I believe it comes down to re-training yourself, and that goes for MOST people. Most of us have grown up learning poor eating habits - we eat when bored, when stressed, etc. It will take work for you to re-train yourself, but it can be done. Just don't believe there's anything "wrong" with you. You ARE normal. It's just that people don't discuss this kind of thing in general, so you would never know!

Almost forgot to add - the best thing is to do as another poster said. Just don't buy the stuff. Keep your cupboards full of healthy, low calorie food instead of things like chips and pretzels or what have you.
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think about eating non-stop, but I make it a point to keep all junk food out of the house. It's hard, because my husband is a compulsive over eater, due to numerous meds that increase appetite, so sometimes I'm drooling while he's pounding down a bag of Fritos or chips, but I just focus on how far I've come and it's sooooo not worth those few moments of pleasure to undo it. There's an old saying that says, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels". It's a very big lesson in self discipline. A lifetime struggle, but it CAN be conquered with persistence.
  • allnamesrtaken
    allnamesrtaken Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found an over eaters group here?
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think about food all the time.... unless I plan out my whole day in the morning, log it, then I just stick with the plan and know that is all I'm eating today. That way I'm not constantly considering my options. It's like: this is it, nothing else will fit inside my calories goals, over and out. It provides me with a lot of calm!

I can't handle any junk food in the house, I'd eat it, so all we have is dried fruit for treats (the low calorie ice cream mentioned above sounds great though!)...

I hope this helps!
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I keep junk food out of the house but have healthier options to hand like crackers, fruit etc. I definitely feel the post-lunch slump when a biscuit (or ten) looks tempting but I tell myself I'm allowed a wee treat only after I've had a cup each of the three herbal teas I have stashed around my workspace. Suddenly not so "hungry" after all that.