How many calories burned during Aerobic Step Video?

Options
Hi :-)

I use Debra Mazda "Let's Get Stepping" video. I can't figure out how many calories I burn. There is a generic step in the exercise data base- using a 10-12 inch step, so I used that. For 30 minutes it gave me around 300 cals burned.

I have a Step brand step, and I used one riser, I also used 1lb hand weights. I'm not sure if the 300 cals is accurate or not. I am 5'6'' and weigh around 138lbs.

I have to go for a very long time on my treadmill for the calculator to tell me I have reached 300 calories, so I am not sure I am burning as many as the database says. Does any one have any insight?

Thank you
Angie

Replies

• ByteLily
    ByteLily Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I went and measured my step- for one thing, with one riser it is 6-8 inches so that's part of it. But do I need to worry about the fact I used arm weights?
  • 6PathsSage
    6PathsSage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Angie,

There is no real insight as because the rate of calorie burn is directly proportionate to the intensity applied. for example i do a 30 min walk on a treadmill as a warm up each day and variate the levels. so starting at level 6 @ 6 km per hour working my way up to level 15 @ 9 kph and my total cal burn varies between 530 - 640 (wearing 2.5 kg leg weights). hope this helps :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Pick a calorie from the middle, say 300 calories. Keep track of your body weight and, or tape measurements and if you are losing then great, the 300 calories are spot on. If not, too fast or none at all, adjust accordingly. All the numbers you see for exercise are just estimates.
  • 6PathsSage
    6PathsSage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The best way to be sure is to use a fitness watch with the cals burned facility and up the ante by using leg and hand weights :)