Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

20lbs of muscle in 12 weeks

Options
bagge72
bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
What do you think about this buzzfeed article where this guy worked his butt off in the gym, and gained 20lbs, but is unfortunately telling everyone that the 20lbs in gained is all muscle?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthouse/i-gained-20-pounds-of-muscle-in-12-weeks-and-this-is-what-ha?utm_term=.myM879lrM#.xsDKz12eN

I think it's unfortunate that people actually post things like this with out doing any research on what is actually going on with their body, and it lets people believe they can actually add that amount of muscle in 12 weeks, and I think it's also bad that the person helping them with their progress let them believe this is what was happening.

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do think it's problematic for people who see that and don't know much about building muscle/gaining weight.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have a few thoughts in general. People should be credulous in general. If I tell you I have a lot of gold buried in my back yard and you can have it if you can dig it up, that should raise some questions. But fitness and nutrition and all of that stuff is very complicated and you can't blame people for not understanding it, especially with all the woo we've been taught (like the food pyramid). I don't think it's a coincidence that the person who was attracted to this to begin with had low self confidence.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Because Buzzfeed. If people are getting information from them and using it, well there you go!!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a coincidence that the person who was attracted to this to begin with had low self confidence.
    That's a good point.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    To be honest i can't tell much of a difference between his before and after pics. I would never had guessed he'd gained 20lbs.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Looks like he developed a muscle imbalance with the change in the tilt of his hips. He looks thicker from the front, but not the side. That indicates it's partially do to general weight gain and partially due to how he's standing.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    How must test-e was he shooting? Because that's the only way he's putting on twenty pounds of lean mass in twelve weeks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    impossible, unless steriods..

for a male under optimal conditions you can hope to gain two pounds of muscle a month, which would mean it would take ten months of perfect training, dieting, and macro/micro consumption to gain 20 pounds of mass...
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I say he put on..at most..6lbs of muscle, the other 14lbs is body fat..and notice how they left that stat out of his measurements, not to mention the whole thing is a shameless promotion for Promix.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    He put on 20lbs of weight. But initially because of all the calories, 1/2 of that weight could EASILY be glycogen and water. And like most guys who are trying to gain weight, he likely weight himself before he went to sleep (when weight is highest due to fluctuation of water).
    So now take that left over 10lbs and figure that for every 1lbs of muscle, you gain about 1.5-2lbs of fat. At MOST, he probable put on 5lbs of muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png