Alcohol Free!! Say what???

Options
I've decided! No more booze!!!! Not one drop shall pass these lips. Five days already and man I want a nice cold beer. Any advice on giving up the "devils libation".

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like root beer or ginger beer.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to eliminate all alcohol consumption, unless you're an alcoholic IMO.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why is it all or nothing? If you have an issue with alcohol such that any consumption of it would cause a major problem for you, then obviously there's nothing else to say but good for you, and you might want to seek out support specific to staying sober.

If not...still good for you, but why not find a way to work a moderate amount of alcohol into your calorie goals from time to time if you enjoy it? Given the nutrition profile (and the tendency it has to encourage other high-calorie eating habits!), it's obviously best to approach it with moderation in mind, but there's nothing wrong with saving the calories for a beer or two once or twice a week. If you're not picky, many "lite" beers have less than 100 calories for a 12-ounce bottle.
  • ally_nicholas
    ally_nicholas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try downloading self hypnosis programmes look on you tube there are loads one is by an IRish guy who suggests just having one drink it's really good and will stop the cravings of habit also totally relax you because white knuckle determination will always crack
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Great decision. Is this a temporary change?

I used to go out probably 3 - 5 nights a week. I started noticing that even if I was good ALL week, one night of partying would throw me off because my hangovers require carbs and soda! I decided to try to go a full month without drinking. I did it and felt really good about it once the month was over. I have had a few nights out since then and trying not to go out more often is a challenge. Like mostly everything it's a mental game you have to play against yourself. Try to find activities that you will enjoy without alcohol. Also, I might suggest going for a long break then easing back into it unless this is a change you want to make forever. Personally, I couldn't not ever drink again. But I'm developing other hobbies and trying to meet new people who don't spend 75% of their time @ the bar like I once was.

best of luck!
  • holmesj747
    holmesj747 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's gets much easier!! At the beginning of the year I did the same thing, took 3 months off pretty much just cause I can. What made it difficult is I work in a bar and am used to having at least a drink with customers or coworkers after a shift, however everyone was really supportive. Just make sure the people you are around support you and stay strong!!!
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Commit to it, I have not had a drink since December 2015 when I started my weight loss/fitness journey. I wish you the best of luck!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Oh. My bad. I thought you said "free beer." I'm out.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    weok7qm2zke7.jpg
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I've decided! No more booze!!!! Not one drop shall pass these lips. Five days already and man I want a nice cold beer. Any advice on giving up the "devils libation".

Excellent, do it then. I've given up alcohol and it's the best decision I've made.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I have cut down but I don't think I could ever give up completely. My husband & I did decide we're going to keep it out of the house . . . less temptation.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Honestly, not having wine in the house has been a huge factor in losing 60#'s. I'll still have a glass out on occasion, but once I opened a bottle at home, I usually drink the whole thing - then I make poor food choices.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I confine booze to Fridays and special occasions. I drink to get buzzed as much as I like the taste. Getting buzzed is dangerous because I really like to eat...a lot...when I am buzzed. So yeah, definitely cannot be an everyday thing for me.

Plus booze is outrageously expensive in my state. I think it is the highest taxed liquor in the nation. I can't afford to be a drunk even if I was sad enough to become one.
  • TaminaShock
    TaminaShock Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love ice cold coronas and so does my belly so i switched to large glass of red wine instead. You can set up a cheat day when you can drink. once every two weeks on a friday. if a special occasion come up reserve your cheat day for the special occasion instead. Hope that helps xoxox
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just to add that some people can't drink alcohol for medical reasons. Alcoholism isn't the only reason why a person needs to stop, limit, or take a long break from alcohol. And a person doesn't need to be an alcoholic to have reasons for not drinking. There is alcoholism in my family and I have watched loved ones destroy their physical and mental health because they didn't want to stop. Not even just for a year or something. I just had no alcohol for a year (medical reasons). Previously I have gone as long as a decade without a drink (in my adult life). I tried a six ounce glass of red wine last night. I did fine. Felt slightly sick. Overall it seemed ok. Not sure if or when I will try again. Elimnating it is still best for me while I am recovering my health. So, health reasons can be the biggest motivator. And other reasons (like you mentioned, op). When going out I drink sparkling mineral water with a lime. Sometimes I drink kombucha (if I can tolerate it, that's been up and down for me as well). I go out and do fun things. Like dancing. If I am out, having fun, dancing then I don't feel the need for a drink. Also, I probably dance better sober. But, if the event is mildly boring, and doesn't have good dancing, good music, or good conversation I am tempted to try a drink. So, I also hold open the option to leave if an event is boring. Other options are going out to see shows: dance, theatre, burlesque, comedy. Or doing other active things. I focus on active fun events. Rather than events that rely on food and drink as the main or only source of entertainment. Always find the fun. And do fun stuff.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I've stopped drinking booze "almost entirely" each time I've gone on a diet because it's full of empty calories that provide no nutritional value whatsoever.

Much easier to lose weight when I do that. Helps that I'm not an alcoholic, because when I cut it out (as I'm doing right now), I just stop cold turkey and don't miss it. I just drink plain water instead.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    with anything in life it gets easier with time. I go through spurts Il drink very regularly then I won't drink for a month.