Pre-workout drinks for sensitive stomachs?

Options
e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
I've tried a few Pre-workout powder drinks--Taze-3 and C4, especially--and all seem to upset my stomach to the point when I have to quit my workout early to use the restroom. Yes, diarrhea. Has anyone else experienced this and/or found a drink that is lighter on the stomach? I would like to continue using something because I lift weights often and very early in the morning. All ideas welcome!

Replies

• wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just started using one called Bang from VPX. you can find it in both powder and canned form. I just buy the cans by the case at my local GNC. pretty much identical to your normal rockstar/monster energy drink although they taste a LOT better. No sugar or calories and have your daily intake of branched chain amino acids and creatine to boot. they do have a ton of caffeine in them equiv to about 3 cups of coffee. might be worth a shot, I have had GI issues in the past but haven't noticed anything with these yet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's how I would work it out. I'd find out what I am sensitive to. Top suspects are caffeine or sugar.

I'd try strong black coffee before the workout and see what happens.

If that's not the culprit, I'd try a Gatorade and see what happens.

If it is neither of these two, I'd try a solid like a protein bar.

Then I'd check if I'm sensitive to whey. Try pure whey protein isolate and see what happens and if that's not the culprit I'd try a whey free product and see what happens.

I think all you need is a 200 calorie boost and the macros are less important. Find something that works and stick with that. It could be as simple as a banana.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bodybuilding_woo
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why do you need one? Are you just following the crowd?

Usually a piece of fruit should do the trick (about 30 minutes before workout).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Preworkouts are a waste of money and make me sick too so I just drink some tea for a kick and go.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why do you need one? Are you just following the crowd?

Usually a piece of fruit should do the trick (about 30 minutes before workout).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you for the voice of reason.