calories burned standing?

Options
Hi Any idea how many calories extra on average can be burned while standing for 1 hr? I'm 5'1 and 100lbs. Thanks :)

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    that would be accounted for in your activity level.

Standing burns more than sitting, but not a significant amount I imagine...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No extra calories for standing.. sorry. As @StaciMarie1974 says this is included in your activity level and is not considered steady state cardio exercise in which you would eat calories back for simple standing.

If you stand or are on your feet a good part of the day then you might want to increase your activity level to give you more calories to eat.

OP are you trying to loose weight at 5'1" and 100 pounds or is this a typo?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    a google search says 20-50 extra calories per hour (vs. sitting).

Here is a rather long but somewhat interesting article on it.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24532996

"If we look at the heart rates," John Buckley explains, "we can see they are quite a lot higher actually - on average around 10 beats per minute higher and that makes a difference of about 0.7 of a calorie per minute."

Now that doesn't sound like much, but it adds up to about 50 calories an hour. If you stand for three hours a day for five days that's around 750 calories burnt. Over the course of a year it would add up to about 30,000 extra calories, or around 8lb of fat.

"If you want to put that into activity levels," Dr Buckley says, "then that would be the equivalent of running about 10 marathons a year. Just by standing up three or four hours in your day at work."
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    "If we look at the heart rates," John Buckley explains, "we can see they are quite a lot higher actually - on average around 10 beats per minute higher and that makes a difference of about 0.7 of a calorie per minute."
    Stand-up guys

Now that doesn't sound like much, but it adds up to about 50 calories an hour. If you stand for three hours a day for five days that's around 750 calories burnt. Over the course of a year it would add up to about 30,000 extra calories, or around 8lb of fat.

From bbc.com/news/magazine-24532996
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I stand for a minimum of 8 hours/day. I don't count it as exercise, but set my activity level to "lightly active".
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I counted my sedentary standing for 8 - 10 hours a day as a sedentary activity level. No credit and all did was gain weight.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Wow. I stand nine hours a day, five days a week... Now I'm concerned I'm not logging correctly or something. I should be losing more weight!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I once read 50 calories per hour burned while standing. (I don't count these).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Stand-up guys

From bbc.com/news/magazine-24532996

Do I also get to subtract the calories I spend breathing? What about sleeping? Bowel movements?

No calories for standing. It's a normal part of a normal day