How do step trackers work??

Options
How does a step tracker on your phone actually know when you are walking? Is it the swinging motion of your arm when you take a step? Just realized that I have a step tracker on my phone and I'm wondering how accurate it will be. Also, can you leave it on all day and do other things on your phone at the same time? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Replies

• XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    wareable.com/fitness-trackers/how-your-fitness-tracker-works-1449

You can leave them on all day, running in the background, but it's an unnecessary battery drain if you do.
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    XnRGrandpa wrote: »
    wareable.com/fitness-trackers/how-your-fitness-tracker-works-1449

You can leave them on all day, running in the background, but it's an unnecessary battery drain if you do.

Thank you!
  • Yourebeautiful2day
    Yourebeautiful2day Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have an inexpensive activity tracker ($16) I got at Kmart that goes on your shoe. It tracks steps, fat burned, calories, goal step count and distance. I like it better than the phone tracker. My friend and I both got one and we named our devices. Mine is Pedro (for pedometer) and hers is Shumacher (because it goes on her shoe). :)
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have an inexpensive activity tracker ($16) I got at Kmart that goes on your shoe. It tracks steps, fat burned, calories, goal step count and distance. I like it better than the phone tracker. My friend and I both got one and we named our devices. Mine is Pedro (for pedometer) and hers is Shumacher (because it goes on her shoe). :)

Hahaha that's too cute! I get my disability on the 1st, so I'll look into getting one. My phone step tracker totally malfunctioned today. I walked for 15 minutes and it was still at 2 minutes. Grrrr!!!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    There's a little leprechaun inside
  • cindilegassie
    cindilegassie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    how can you track steps under exercise? I read somewhere 20 steps will burn 1 calorie, but the exercise tab goes on time, not steps?