How much weight to lose and other questions (picture)

Options
OTk8
OTk8 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
20160722_140459-1_zpsjmsfegox.jpg

I am 5'1", and currently about 123 pounds. Last time I checked my body fat was a little over 27%. I feel so silly asking this, especially as someone who has nonstop tried to lose weight for 14 years, but I feel like that's why I've become confused and unsure about how to go about this. I have gotten so much advice and read so many different articles and wouldn't mind a little advice/guidance from real people going through the same thing.

1. How much weight or fat should I be aiming to lose? Stats and picture above.
2. What the heck should I be doing in the gym based off of my picture above, with a little explanation why if you don't mind? My normal routine is cardio 6 days a week and maybe a couple day of doing some weight machines.
3. Could I get some examples of what you guys eat for snacks or even meals? I feel like my calories just get filled up so fast.

Thank you so much for any and all response. If you're looking for friends, feel free to add me.

Replies

• emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You have a similar body to mine lol (I'm 5'5 and 135 with the same goal to just lose a little weight.) I think if you're in a healthy range you're fine, but if 5-10 pounds would be okay. I've recently been running with couch to 5k (it's free and great) I do at-home things like push ups, lunges, squats, ect. Things I find on videos. YouTube videos are very very helpful, not just for working out but for eating healthy. Watch some of the "what I eat in a day" videos. I usually eat bananas, granola bars, yogurt, healthier Cereals, things with peanut butter, wraps, salads, smoothies, ect. Treat yourself every now and the and good luck!
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    1. How much weight or fat should I be aiming to lose? Stats and picture above.

That's really up to you. It depends on what you want to look like. If you want abs to show you're looking at more like 16 percent body fat.

2. What the heck should I be doing in the gym based off of my picture above, with a little explanation why if you don't mind? My normal routine is cardio 6 days a week and maybe a couple day of doing some weight machines.

You can do as much exercise as you possibly can, but it won't do a darn thing unless your diet is in check. Especially at your current weight. Find out what your macro percentages are suppose to be, watch the carbs, watch the sugar, and watch the sodium. Sometimes you can still be within your macros and gain some water weight because of too much sodium. I do 30 minutes of body weight exercises and 20 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week. Here's macros calculator: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm?searchTerm=macro calculator

3. Could I get some examples of what you guys eat for snacks or even meals? I feel like my calories just get filled up so fast.

Your calories should not be filling up fast. I increased my calories to 2000 and started eating 5-6 meals a day, but because I'm am sticking to my macros and watching the sugar and sodium, I am still losing weight. When I do eat snacks I eat a protein bar because I have a hard time reaching my protein needs. Not one of those like Nature's Valley because there's too much sugar in it. You have to find one that meets your dietary needs. I like Pure Protein bars. I'll also have a protein shake. Once in a while I may have a fruit. Sometimes I'll have a very small amount of cashews because they are very high in calories. It's all about what fits your dietary needs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. Really up to you.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    The first two questions depend entirely on your goals. If you simply want to be healthy, you could argue that you don't need to lose any weight at all. Your goal determines basically what your diet and exercise regimens should be like. If you wanted to be a marathon runner I'd have a very different set of advice then if you told me you wanted to look lean with visible abs... Tell us your goals and we can answer much more accurately.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'6 and 140 pounds (almost the same BMI), and I think my body type is similar to yours. I used to be close to 120 pounds and I got there by doing some serious running, but I wasn't very muscular. I'd say you could try to lose 5-10 pounds.
    What type of cardio do you do and how much? For me, running made the biggest changes. I added a mile per week until i got up to 13. Id say try to get into weights more-- that's what I'm trying to do now in addition to getting back into shape for distance running.
    Believe it or not, I lost a lot of weight while eating pizza. Granted I was running like crazy, but the pizza was great fuel. I make my own crust, roll it really thin, and add lots of veggies and minimal cheese. You can eat soup, chicken, salads... Whatever else you would normally eat, just watch potion sizes. I even drank a few nights a week while losing weight, you just have to watch your overall calories.
    Anyway, good luck to you! I'm going through the same thing right now, so I understand how you're feeling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    If I had your body, my goal would not be to lose weight but to lower my bodyfat and look more "toned." I'd hire a personal trainer for a few sessions with the goal of learning how to implement a progressive weight lifting program.

I can tell by your statement "maybe a couple day of doing some weight machines" that you could use more knowledge about weight lifting - not a criticism, just an observation. Checkout The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess which was available through my library system, so perhaps yours as well.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You look great, but if you want to build a more muscular body, resistance work with body weight or weights is where you want to go next: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

Here is my diary, if you would like to peek: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/CoachJen71
  • bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions overall it seems. You probably don't want to lose much weight. The suggestions about getting squared away at the gym with lifting will help tone you out. The scale won't budge much but your measurements should change. Again, if that's what you're aiming for
  • OTk8
    OTk8 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    The first two questions depend entirely on your goals. If you simply want to be healthy, you could argue that you don't need to lose any weight at all. Your goal determines basically what your diet and exercise regimens should be like. If you wanted to be a marathon runner I'd have a very different set of advice then if you told me you wanted to look lean with visible abs... Tell us your goals and we can answer much more accurately.

Hello, I definitely see what you're saying. I think I'd like to lean out all over. I'm not too concerned about visible abs, but I'd like to just have a leaner look overall. What advice would you have for that? Thank you!!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    OTk8 wrote: »
    vismal wrote: »

Hello, I definitely see what you're saying. I think I'd like to lean out all over. I'm not too concerned about visible abs, but I'd like to just have a leaner look overall. What advice would you have for that? Thank you!!

In order to look lean you must reduce body fat. The only way to do that is to eat in a calorie deficit over a period of time and lose weight. You cannot target where you lose body fat so overall weight reduction is the only strategy. In order to have a more aesthetic physique at low levels of body fat you should also engage in resistance training (weight lifting). When you lose weight you lose a combination of fat and lean tissue. Lifting weights helps minimize lean tissue losses and that generally creates a better final physique. Any proven beginners lifitng program (stronglifts, ICF 5x5, Starting strength, etc) should be just fine. After 10 or so lbs of weight loss, I bet you will be considerably more lean. At that point you can reevaluate your goals and decide how to proceed next. I'd aim for about 1/2lb a week weight loss as you are already close to your goal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    id be super happy with your body lol

if you want to build muscle, follow one of the programs like 5x5 or NROLFW