Tell me I am being pathetic please!!

Options
I know I am so so silly.. But I suspect you guys will know where I am coming from.

I am not overweight, but have started a new program about 3 weeks ago to tone up. The program has advised to use mfp and I am loving using it. I have been under my calorie goals every day and really worked hard in the gym and the kitchen.

Tonight I am going out for a meal, and whilst I will be sensible...I have looked on the menu online and found the best choices.....I feel like I am really cheating myself.

Tell me it is ok to have one night off. I may even have a gin and slim tonic if I can get over the guilt!

Replies

• Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I felt like this at first. I felt guilty for having a day off even though like yourself I'm not overweight. Then I realised I need to relax a little before I end up having a problem! Now If I have an event or anything I just don't count, relax and have fun and get back to it the next day.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    What does your "tone up" program entail? Getting stronger? Losing weight? If your goal is to lose weight, you simply need to maintain a caloric deficit week to week. So as long as high calories one day are balanced out by lower calories the next, you're doing fine. Lots of people "bank" calories for eating more on the weekends.

• Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What does your "tone up" program entail? Getting stronger? Losing weight? If your goal is to lose weight, you simply need to maintain a caloric deficit week to week. So as long as high calories one day are balanced out by lower calories the next, you're doing fine. Lots of people "bank" calories for eating more on the weekends.

Heavy lifting 4 days per week and 1 cv session. I need to lose a bit of fat but really it is the toning as I am 59kg and 5ft4. Thanks for your comment
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Not actually many calories in a gin and slimline tonic!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It's ok to have a night off. Just get back to the program the next day and you will be fine.
  • greatatboats
    greatatboats Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight and have a looooong way to go, so I've struggled with this too. I would just keep in mind that

a) It's OK to look at things on a weekly basis vs daily - if you haven't already done it this time, maybe next time you can save up some extra calories when you know there's going to be a splurge

b) Even if you didn't, a pound of fat is 3500 calories. Unless you're going really hard, odds are good you won't have nearly that much :)
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to tone (strengthen and build a little muscle) you probably shouldn't be eating in a calorie deficit in the first place...
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to tone (strengthen and build a little muscle) you probably shouldn't be eating in a calorie deficit in the first place...

Thanks. I often wonder if that is the case
  • nfelkel
    nfelkel Posts: 86 Member
    Options

This what I've always been taught
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You're being pathetic.
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cheats are important, in my opinion, because if I don't give myself that one meal a week, I'll likely crash and screw myself - I.e. Really binge. I see it as a mental thing as much as anything
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fit treats in your weekly cals, that way, no guilt.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Are you clear as to why the program advised you to join MFP?

There are people here who use MFP for purposes other than weight loss. Many use it just to maintain their current weight or to gain weight. Or to track their macros.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're not overweight, you should not be in a deficit anyway. Seems more likely you were advised to use mfp for macros, especially to make sure you're getting enough protein. Enjoy your meal out!