1,200 Calorie Diet

Options
Soooo, I wonder if I stick to 1,200 cal daily intake...no matter WHAT I eat, if it's still possible to lose weight? I'm so in desperate need to lose 20 lbs in 4 months, but I can't help but LOVE food!! :(

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    All you need to do to lose weight is eat less calories than your body burns. However, unless you are particularly short, 1200 seems low.

People who choose a too aggressive goal tend to either give up and binge or gain all their weight, plus more, back.
  • cgarcia_0914
    cgarcia_0914 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I got 1,200 off of my start up questions with this app. It's so hard, I'm on day 2..yesterday I was well over -1,500!! :'(
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Generally, you should .5 lbs per week for every 25 lbs you need to lose.

If you just want to lose 20lbs, set your goal to .5 lbs per week
  • cgarcia_0914
    Options
    Also, my problem is I have insomnia and tend to eat while I'm up. I firmly believe this is where all my weight gain comes from. I need more motivation!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Do forget you get to eat back your exercise calories. So if you eat 1500, just burn 300 by walking or whatever.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that not getting enough sleep can make you eat more. So take some melatonin and try for 7 to 8 hrs of sleep. You can do it!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Citrate, Glycine, Melatonin all help with sleep
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Studies have shown that not getting enough sleep can make you eat more. So take some melatonin and try for 7 to 8 hrs of sleep. You can do it!

This is a good idea. Another thing you can do is save some calories for the night time when you're going to be up so you don't eat over your goal.

As for the goal of 1200, I agree with the first poster that it's not sustainable for everybody. I'm personally 5'2 and 150 lbs, wanting to lose another 30-ish and I lose a pound a week on about 1550-1600 plus most of my exercise calories.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What you eat wont matter if your only goal is to lose weight. From that perspective, 1200 cal of refined sugar is the same as 1200 calories of prime rib. If its less than your daily expenditure, you will lose.

For any duration of more than a few days, you should consider the nutrient value of what you are eating, to sustain your health. There are core, basic, minimal levels of certain nutrients that your body needs, or things like hormone production, metabolism, and cell regeneration will suffer. That is why things like RDAs exist ...
  • ninjachicken4000
    ninjachicken4000 Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Soooo, I wonder if I stick to 1,200 cal daily intake...no matter WHAT I eat, if it's still possible to lose weight? I'm so in desperate need to lose 20 lbs in 4 months, but I can't help but LOVE food!! :(

Hi. Just to put the amount of weight you want to lose in that time frame into perspective for you.

1lb of fat = 3500 calories

To lose 1lb of fat a week (approximately as some weight you lose will always be muscle mass as well, however if you exercise and eat a high protein diet while not losing weight too fast you can minimise the fat:muscle weight loss ratio in favour of fat and less muscle loss) you need to eat 500 calories less than your TDEE a day (1lb of fat =3500, 500 X 7 days = 3500 calories) as when you eat less than your TDEE your body turns to energy stores (fat and muscle) for it's energy and burns them up.

To lose 20 lbs you would need to burn 70,000 calories (3500 X 20lbs). Over 4 months (wit averaging of 30 days per month) that is a deficit needed (eating under your TDEE) of 583 calories per day (70,000 divided by 120 days). Depending on what your TDEE 1200 calories a day may very well get you to your goal in time.

To work out your TDEE use this:
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Be very honest about your activity level when inputting your stats to get as accurate a TDEE as possible.

The problem here is motivation and sticking to your calorie goals. When it comes to weight loss you have to stop making excuses, yes you may love food. But you won't reach your goal unless you make sacrifices. That does not however mean you need to eat a miserable diet that you hate. just try to find low calorie foods you like.

Good luck.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    for weight loss, no, it doesnt matter.

however, for nutrition and satiety, what you do eat DOES matter.

ie: I can have a breakfast of fruit, eggs, and an english muffin or toast @under 300 cals. i could eat a candy bar for the same. but which will keep me fuller longer, and give my body the nutrition it needs?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Although a calorie is a calorie, quality matters in terms of feeling satisfied, maintenance and overall health. I go for protein, full fat and fiber. These will help me stay full on 1200 calories. I cycle my calories most days I eat 1200, I have a day I eat low at 1000 then one day I eat at 1500. I can stay full on 1200 if I eat right, if I eat mostly carbs which I do on occasion I am hungrier and have a hard time staying at 1200. This I finally learned in my 28 days counting calories.

So lesson learned for me that a calorie is not a calorie in terms of long haul weight loss.
  • cgarcia_0914
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and encouragement. My soul purpose of losing weight right now is because I'm 32, 5'5 171lbs, type 2 diabetic, and trying to get pregnant! My 20 lb goal is doctor's orders, 4 months has to do with planning my pregnancy. I've been diabetic for 11 years and have always battled with weight. The only time I was faithful to walking and an eating plan was with my first pregnancy in 2010. I'm hoping this app will help me with accountability, seeing the "red" will help me back off of wanting to eat more. I'm so new to "healthy" in general! :(
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I got 1,200 off of my start up questions with this app. It's so hard, I'm on day 2..yesterday I was well over -1,500!! :'(
    Did you choose to lose 2lb per week? If yes, go for 1lb per week instead.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1500, but burn 300 a day. Therefore my net calories are always 1200 or close.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I began on April 1st - not quite 4 months ago. I have been on 1200 calories a day - and have stuck to that (with a couple of exceptions...). As of today - I have lost 22 lbs. I have 10 more to go - which I think may go more slowly.
    But my point is - it IS possible for you to do it...1200 calories/day is really not so horrible.