Good foods (green checkmark)

Options
I am new to a calorie counting plan, like MFP. On day 2.

Ive read up a lot and tried several diets. So I have preconceptions of good food/snacks.

As i enter my food in MFP, i see that some foods like jerky or wasabi peas have a green check mark. I can only assume that means its a smart choice for cals and nutrient rich?

Is there a list of these foods on MFP? Would be helpful for meal planning.

Thanks!

Replies

• berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    These are verified foods. They are not necessarily healthy but they are more likely to be accurate!
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would ignore the checkmark completely, I have seen enough entries with it that are off. If you are entering a packaged product, confirm with the package information, if it is produce and things like that search for the usda entry, they're more likely to be correct. I also often double check with Google if there are lots of conflicting entries to chose from.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As the PPs are saying, the items with a green checkmark are "verified" items. Unfortunately, they are NOT more likely to be correct, as they are not checked by humans, but they fit some algorithms MFP have set up. Be careful, and check every entry yourself with reliable sources, like food label, producer's home page, or the USDA database.

I think I can guess where the idea that the green checkmark represents a good choice, comes from. The way nutritional information, from the various governments and their agencies, and through the diet industry, is handed to the public, is oversimplified and overcomplicated at the same time. Understand this: Nutrition is complex, but eating well isn't complicated. There are no good/bad foods, only better or poorer diets, and individual needs and preferences.

When you plan your meals, look for a variety of fresh foods, a little bit of everything, but not too much of anything. Pick foods you like. Log it and try to hit your calorie goal. After a while, you will see a pattern emerge - some food combinations make you satisfied and energetic without struggling to stick to your calorie allowance, other foods make you hungry, lethargic and find yourself way over goal. There is no problem eating some of these foods occasionally, the clue is to eat satisfying, nutritious foods most of the time. If you eat in a way that keeps you close to your calorie goal, you will lose weight, and keep it off afterwards.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    the green check mark is laughable ...ignore it

It is supposed to mean the entry is right ...but the algorithm is ridiculous and it doesn't

You only have to look up Chinese buffet, 1 plate and get 1000 calories...verified to see
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ^Yep... Verified for having the proper nutritional information, but even these can be quite wrong.
    And, there are no bad foods, either, since a calorie is a calorie. No need to cut out foods that you like and be miserable.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/ is your friend. If you care about accuracy, always compare the MFP database entrie to it. The "Reports" offers to tell you about your weight history, as well as your history of nutrition. Since I do care about accuracy, I do.
  • 75poundstogo
    75poundstogo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is really helpful guys!!!! Thx.