Walking or mixing walking/running?

Options
I am not into running, but today when I want for my walk, I was walking at about 3.5 to 4.5 Mph and could turn into running... But if I start running, I can do it only for a couple of minutes, and then will switch over back to walking, but probably at a much slower pace than if I just walk...

So, the question is - what should I strive for:
1. Increasing time/distance of my walk and getting to the speed of 4.5-5 Mph or
2. Start to mix running/walking at 5.0 Mph/2.5 Mph speed, and understanding that the time/distance of my exercise will me shorter than the walking one...?

Replies

• gothicprophet
    Options
    That's pretty close to the start of C25K and similar running programs, lol.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    This answer isn't going to help you much, but I do both. Some days I walk full out as fast as I can for as long as I can. Others, I combine walking and running. I'm trying to get to the point where my old crackly out of shape knees can get to 3 full miles of running, but for now, I mix it up.

I wear a bodybugg - and on the days that I walk/run, I burn about 100 more calories than when I'm just walking.

Good luck!
  • dlafarga
    dlafarga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You will burn calories either way but i would suggest mixing running and walking. It's called "interval training". You should look up articles about it online. It's supposed to burn a whole lot more fat. I have friends that do it. I frankly have tried it a couple times but I lose patience and just run a couple miles non stop.
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The Intervals are better for you...walking then running for what you can, then return to walking.....The increase in heart rate during the run part is supposed to help burn much more fat.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i mix it up. i use to just walk because running for a while hurts my knees but once i started using my hrm i realized my heart rate isnt up enough when walking so what i'll do is run for as long as i can stand it then walk a while and run again
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it depends on what you want to do and what you enjoy doing, we all are more likely to repeat what we enjoy! You are obviously looking to progress and that's good, always good to be setting new targets!

If you want to start to run alternating walking and running is a good way to start. If you do run - run slow with small paces to build up endurance, the speed will come later.

Please friend me if you like, I've been where you're at!

Good luck!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I think that you can mix it without any problem, and maybe you will feel motivated to increase running in time... you will see how you feel! This is how I started... I ran for 4mins only in the beginning...
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    you can just walk I am not interested in running as I have always walked fast, and I suspect I can walk faster than I could ever run.

I have signed up to do a 13.1 mile (about 21K) in october, and this is a night walk, running is not allowed.

I am aiming to complete it in 3hours - I would love to do it in less than that, but I would be pleased with 3 hours.

So I think it really depends on what you put in and what you get out of it. I've lost 6-7 inches off my waist & hips so its working for me.

Good luck
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm only a beginner but if you are unfit (like me) I would advocate moderate to brisk walking for the first month or two. This let's your body get used to the idea of moving and your joints will thank you (particularly if you are quite heavy). I am planning on introducing interval training (mixed running) as I get fitter. The way I figure it it's more important to establish a regular routine of exercising before pushing things too far. Of course there are days when I get bored and I start jogging (a little). If you find walking too easy and joggIng/running too tiring, you may also want to consider carrying some light hand weights. It is my way of re introducing some light strength/toning exercise to my walking and I dont tire as easily. Finally I find hills are another great way to increase fitness until you get used to exercise.