Why am I more hungry when I eat oatmeal for breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Try adding fresh fruit to your oatmeal, nuts, etc. If that doesn't work then you probably need to eat a protein with your breakfast.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Same here. Oatmeal is not part of my diet. Complete waste for me, and too high calorie. Protein for the win.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I always go from breakfast (around 6 am) to lunch--people vary. I prefer eating only at mealtime.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts rich in healthy fats/proteins will keep you much fuller for longer. Oats digest very quickly. If you don't want to have more savoury breakfast, try adding some protein powder to your oats (tastes great if you have a nice flavour and might help keeping you slightly less full).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,938 Member
    Options
    sugom2 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this problem? If I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I am starving 2 hours later. but if I eat a low carb, high protein breakfast (like crustless quiche) it takes me all the way to lunch.

My husband loves oatmeal for breakfast and feels good for a long time after a decent bowl of it.

I eat it, and about 45 minutes later I could empty the fridge. I'm the same way when I eat toast with honey.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If I eat carbs in the morning -- any grain carbs or fruits-- I'm starving all day. Two eggs and some bacon or ham gets me through nicely.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    When I eat oatmeal, which I do several times a week, I have yogurt on the side so I get some protein to keep me satiated. I prefer old-fashioned oats because they are more filling that instant or quick oats. They do take a little longer to cook. To save time, I cook up a double batch & save half for another day. Then reheat it in the microwave with a little water or milk or almond milk, whatever you prefer.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My breakfast of oatmeal, walnut oil, berries with a hard boiled egg on the side, keeps me going well into the afternoon.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i can't eat oatmeal for breakfast... i LOVE it but like you I'm pretty much hungry instantly.