Newb, need to build a support team!

tashstodd
tashstodd Posts: 11 Member
Hi everybody,

I'm a 28 year old female from NS Canaa. I'm new here as of about 2 weeks ago. Since I don't have many friends on here checking up on me yet I'm looking for some new ones to keep me on my toes!! :) I've never been able to stick with a diet before, so rather then calling this a "diet" I've decided to try to just eat more healthy foods and less greasy and fatty foods. This is by far the best website I've come across in a long time, I'm looking forward to journey ahead of me!

Does anybody have any tips or advice to help me get started and keep me from cheating?

Replies

• clancie518
    clancie518 Posts: 40
    Welcome to the MFP family... it is a great place and I find it very helpful to keep me in check.. feel free to add me as a friend.. as far as keeping you on your toes... you will actually be doing that yourself, if you check in everyday , track your food, read some of the posts, etc... good luck on your journey and keep a positive outlook... you can do this!!
  • descooley
    descooley Posts: 36 Member
    Use the site - that is the best advice I can give.

Don't use the expression cheating - it has such a negative meaning to me and can be discouraging. Just know that you have to hold yourself accountable for what goes into your body and what comes out! If you eat something you didn't plan on eating either use activity to burn it off or document it, learn from it and move on.

The message boards are great sources of information, read them and learn from other's experiences!

Good luck on changing your life!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 582 Member
    Log everything! Food, exercise, water. Make sure you keep up with it.
    Also, I've found that blogging helps if you're struggling with something. For example, I began posting when I gave up soda. So each time I feel really tempted or when I make it through the day without drinking some, I blog about it.

And, what you're doing now: building a support network to pick you up when you are done and to cheer you to your goal weight.

Welcome and best of luck!
    ~TheGlitterMouse
  • Tahru
    Tahru Posts: 58
    Well, what I do is stop and think; "Will I feel guilty later for eating this...?"
    if its a yes, I definately put it down.
    Also, what I find out is taking a little fork full of something you REALLY want, or a little nibble at a cookie or something, it satisfies the craving and you wont eat a whole portion.
  • tashstodd
    tashstodd Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks guys for the advice and for the adds :)
  • bduwii
    bduwii Posts: 3
    Hi!
    I usually use my phone to update my status but I haven't had a chance to really look into the site and it's awesome!
    I wouldn't mind being your fitness pal if you are looking for one (or more). It's a challenge to stay focused and follow through with fitness on your own. My advice to you is to really surround yourself with other people that have the same goals as you. i.e this site. That has what has worked for me. If you don't have anyone physically around you like that then engage here on this site and make friends here. I am really plugged in with my friends on Facebook and Twitter and we keep in touch through email. I am even holding a 30 day weight loss challenge in August to keep everyone I know or come in contact with motivated and focused. There'll be prizes and weekly check ins so if you are on Facebook, Twitter, or have an email addy you are more than welcome to join in.

http://www.facebook.com/bduwii
    http://www.twitter.com/glduwii

I hope that was helpful for you! Good luck and I hope to hear from you!

Britni