Feeling Lost

Options
Hey there!

So, I feel like I've tried everything from eating healthy to Slim-Fast to a Juice/Water cleanse to not eating at all and obviously some are better than others, some being not good for you at all. But here I am. I have to lose close to 45 pounds.
And it's not even the pounds that I'm really worried about, it's the size. I want to get back into a Size 6... I started on MFP a month ago and was doing really well for well, almost 2 weeks, then well, stopped. My biggest kick in the teeth was over the weekend when I went into a really nice dress shop on vacation and the lady helping me said that she thought the 14 would fit me better than the 12, that the 12 just wasn't going to zip... I looked at myself in the mirror and almost cried... needless to say, didn't buy any dresses either.

In order to do this right, I need some help in the nutrition area.... I know every "body" is different and everyone reacts differently to things like fats and carbs and sodium etc. I know to drink a lot of water throughout the day. I know that portions are a big factor. I know exercise combined with eating healthy is a must.

I've cut out soft drinks
I drink at least 8 cups of water a day
I don't snack late at night
I'm trying to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night
I've cut out alcohol
If I drink any juice, I drink only 8oz and first thing in the am (and they are 100% juice and none of the artificial stuff)
I don't deprive myself from a treat every once in a while
I rarely ever salt my foods and if I do, I use Sea Salt
I don't eat a lot of breads to begin with
I'm not a junk food eater and very rarely ever crave candy, etc
My down-falls are fried foods (which I've also cut out) and sauces (Ketchup/Mayo/1000 Island Dressing/etc)
I can't think of anything else right now, but...

What I need help with is 1. what snacks do I eat to stay on a regimen of eating every 3 hours throughout the day?
1a. It seems I keep going over my sugars by eating fruits/drinking 100% juice in the am's (is this good or bad or neither?

What are some healthy (and really easy to put together) breakfasts/lunches/dinners that will help keep me on track that seriously don't involve a lot of prep?

THANK YOU for reading!!!

Replies

• sent4rmabove23
    Options
    Almonds make a great snack and are low in carb - other low carb snacks, string cheese, low carb high protein shakes. Idk, if they have a Winn Dixie near you but I buy Carb Solutions High Protein Low Carb Shake - 2 scoops is 110 cal and like 3 grams of carbs with 20 grams of protein.
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    If you like OJ, buy Trop50 from Tropicana - 50 cals 1/2 the sugar. 8 oz is usually 13 grams of sugar.
  • hbrittain2
    Options
    Hey Girl!
    94% fat free pop corn is a great way to fill yourself up without taking in too many calories.

I'm doing weight watchers for the second time now (I lost 22 lbs the first time and then kind of lost control of everything) and they say that you can eat way more fruits and vegetables than MFP would calculate for your calorie/sugar intake. I say don't worry SO much about the numbers and make sure you're eating the right things. I lost 2 lbs my first week back on weight watchers. They're plan obviously works.

I use MFP to help me keep track of everything. :o)
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Awww, I'm really sorry to hear about your dress-buying experience, it's horrid when that happens.

I don't know if going over on sugars is bad - I'm not a nutritionalist at all. I try to avoid processed sugars now - so I will still have fruit, particularly at this time of year when there's all the excellent summer fruits.
    The other thing I use for snacking is seeds - I get big tubs from www.munchyseeds.co.uk & measure out small portions, I find they're fiddly enough to eat that it takes a while to go through a portion & they hit the snack button :) I don't know if they ship to the states, but there may be a local equivalent, or you could probably do something similar roasting seeds at home if you've the time to experiment.
    The other possibility is nuts - they all have good protein & fats in them.

Hope that helps a little :)
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hi! First off, wow you eat really healthy after cutting out all that bad stuff!

Ok so for healthy snacks, i recommend nuts, fruits, yogurts, stuff like that. Make sure they have protein in them so you aren't just getting a sugar high (yogurt)

Sugars, like all other nutrients, there are good and bad, natural sugars from fruits and what not are good for you and ok to go over on :)

and easy meals, i make up a big batch of eggs and turkey bacon with a little cheese on the weekend so i can grab and go during the week and if i'm running late i have oatmeal and protein bars in my drawer at work.
    Lunch i like wraps, sandwiches, pita pockets, and mini pizzas made on bagel thins :)
    Dinner I normally make something with chicken because you can do so much. You can make chicken breast with picante sauce in the oven with some veggies, you can cut it up with some evoo on the stove and mix it with some brown rice and veggies or put some seasoning with some whole wheat pasta, there is a lot more too. You can even make a healthy 'breaded' chicken strips that you bake instead of fry using crushed corn flakes!

If you want some more support on your journey feel free to add me! I also have my diary open, just don't look at this weekend :P
  • melhort
    melhort Posts: 31
    Options
    As you said everyone is different and I've found watching my carbs along with my calorie intake helps me to drop the weight. My absolute favorite thing right now is hummus and tabouli in a low carb wrap! It is very filling and full of flavor!! I also make sure I eat every few hours so I don't get too hungry. It's all about finding the right balanced for your body.
  • kithacrash
    kithacrash Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow - let me start by saying, you sure seem to know many of the right things to do/not do! That puts you ahead of the game already. 2 weeks of doing well is no where near enough time to give yourself before you start to feel (and see) the great changes that will be coming your way! Patience my new friend - you are on the right path - and those moments in the dress shop will help you stay rooted in reality (for now - so you don't "slip" too often, thinking it's no big deal), and keep you doing all the right things when it gets hard (by reminding you of your reason) - IF you can get past the beating yourself up, hopless feeling!! LOL Look at it this way - you are doing a wonderful thing for yourself by starting to change your lifestyle - you have a GREAT understanding of the things you need to do - and you have already started to put things into action! Wow - way to go!! Now - it's the test stage - when things get bleak, you must not give in - just remember - all feelings/situations change - usually within 24 - 48 hours. So if it seems dark, trust that the sun will poke it's way out again, somehow, very soon - just wait for it - don't give up!! Start fresh the next day, if you blow it - each morning is a clean slate! I can only suggest a few things in the nutrition department - fresh veggies, fruit, some crackers, granola, anything with lots of fiber will make you feel full for your snack periods. I LOVE the Healthy Choice frozen meals - they are low in calories, high in all the good stuff and taste great! I also enjoy prepmade salads - the lettuce bags that also come with dressing/toppings - I add some shrimp or diced chicken to the top - even some sliced fruit - and it's a YUMMY quick full meal! I really love yogurt for a snack too - there are very tasty ones ones out there, low in calories! Add in some fresh fruit (or for a treat, I throw in 10 chocolate chipets - YUM)!! Or some of the small sized, low cal icecream bars are excellent for hot summer days! LOL Whatever you do - add in the exercise portion to your day, and most of anything you eat will balance out, if you are controlling portion sizes!! Good luck - you are doing great with your start - these hiccups are nomal, so don't let them get you down!! :-)
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Give yourself a lifetime to figure it out and while you're figuring it out, keep trying every day. Count your calories, log your food and keep moving. If you 'diet' more days than not, the net result will be weight loss. It doesn't have to be perfect all the time and a slipup every few weeks is not a reason to stop. Experiment. Figure out what works for you and design your own personal weight loss plan as you go. It's taken me 30 years to figure this out. I can't follow a pre-packaged plan that someone else designed. I have to do what's right for me, based on the knowledge I have today. I will continue to expand my knowledge base, but I don't have to wait until I have all the pieces to start building the puzzle.

On the practical side:
    HungryGirl.com has some good ideas.
    I make my own Breakfast Burritos in large batches, so I have enough for the week. Scrambled eggs, chopped red and orange peppers, green onion, tomatoes [seeded, so the juice doesn't make the burritos soggy], a little shredded cheddar, 6" flour tortillas. I make them on Sunday nights and have them in the fridge, ready to go every morning. They're also good for lunches.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • jenny_fur
    jenny_fur Posts: 73
    Options
    GREAT stuff here!!
    xox
  • ccvalentine
    Options
    @q_alma - Thank you for the suggestions! I just finished 1/4 cup of Dry Roasted Unsalted Almonds, I love string cheese but had completely forgotten about it, I have several ingredients at home for Shakes, and I do drink Trop50 on a regular basis (it's sooo good)!!! I am so excited about the string cheese reminder, haha. Thank you again for responding, I really do appreciate the support from MFP friends!
    @hbrittain2 - Thank you for the suggestion about the popcorn! There's a lady in my office that makes a batch every day around 3pm and it always smells sooo good! :) And as always, I appreciate the encouragement!
    @annrum - Thank you so much for the suggestion! I will def look into the website and see what they offer. I really appreciate the support!
    @hadkins13 - Aww, thanks! The eggs and turkey bacon is a great idea, and your other suggestions are def helping me to feel not so lost and overwhelmed! I do enjoy anything with chicken so your ideas have helped start my brainstorming... Thank you so much and I will def add you!
    @melhort - I love Hummus as well, my favorite being Roasted Red Pepper but I've never heard of tabouli? I'll def look into it! Thank you so much for your response, it's greatly appreciated!
    @kithacrash - Haha you pegged me in the very beginning! I'm very much an immediate results kind of girl and patience (especially with myself) has always been a struggle for me. And the beating myself up part. :) Thank you for writing, for being encouraging, and for your suggestions. Great ideas!!! May I add you? :)
    @Hollycat - Completely agree with not being able to follow the "pre-packaged" idea... I will def look up the hungrygirl website! I am so excited to make some breakfast burritos in the next few days as well! Thank you so very much!
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    I think your doing so good.. you kind of remind me of me.. when I feel that I have sort of reached a plateau and the scale nor the dress size is moving..

What I have learned most importantly is not to drive myself crazy with what to do . I had to put the brakes on my thoughts , they were going rampant. I became depressed and anxious.

I re-evaluated my nutritional daily goals, thats number one.. .

I learned that eating 1450 cal daily (my calorie daily goal) and burning 200 or 300 or 400 is great! it helps me slim down.. the healthier foods are replacing all the junk in my body.

I learned to decrease processed foods.. I wish I could give it up totally but .. there are a few things I just havent let go of.. like cheese. But, I have learned to eat less!

I learned that cardio and light weights are a girls best friend.. and when I'm feeling down.. I pick up those 3 lbs weights and do 30 minutes. I have been in a plateau for over a year!!! Now.. because I changed it up in a healthier aspect , now the pants are fitting way large.. I am actually going down in size so now,. I am more concerned with inches.. in time.. the scale goes down.. but wow.. I am loving seeing the change in my body..seeing the girl muscles come in.. its sexy!

I learned that one cannot lose weight without working out.. so I learned to love to workout.. its like a secret weapon..

Don't give up on yourself.. just re-evaluate what your eating.. and remember not to eat anything after 7 or 8 pm..
    drink lots of water.. Fruits can be a girls best friend.. and veggies. ..

!. Veggies 2. fruits 3 proteins Eat more veggies then fruits ..Eat more fruits and meats... but eat Chicken or fish more then red meats.

I also learned to do a lot of core exercises... they seem to shrink the waist.. and arms..

Good luck to you.. Don't give up..

I can't jump because of my knees and yet.. I am doing some hard core workouts that don't require jumping.. like the Butt Bible from exercise tv. Aweeeesome workout.. !
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    First I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruit. Those are natural sugars.

Hummus and bell peppers are an awesome snack!
    Low carb wraps with turkey/chicken and veggies for lunch!
    Try to eat low sugar fruits like apples, pears, berries, and peaches...
    Skinny Cow cheese wedges are your friends...
    1 egg with 3 egg whites for breakfast mixed with some salsa

Work out lots... Stay on track! You will be fine :)
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    crystal light instead of juice
    make a few things in bulk when you have time: brown rice, baked chicken, hard boiled eggs
    for breakfast I almost always have this:
    -1/4 c quick oats
    -1/4 c already cooked brown rice
    -1/4 c almond milk
    -1/4 c water
    (microwave it for 1.5-2 minutes and then add honey, cinnamon, vanilla extract, berries, raisins, whatever you please..)
    buy frozen veggies..cheap, easy to heat up, delicious
    avoid baking sweets (this a huge problem for me)
    when you make protein shakes add a cup or 2 of fresh spinach (tasteless & packed with nutrients)
    if you like peanut butter, try Peanut Wonder. it’s not the same, but it’s 85% less fat (2g for 2 tablespoons) and half the calories
    try to slowly cut down the amount of ketchup, mayo, ranch, etc. you use
    don’t buy snacks
    baby carrots are a great snack, but I like to eat in large quantities so I cut them in half or quarters to make it seem like more
    popcorn is definitely a good snack, but it’s high in carbs...so be careful
    string cheese is phenomenal
    be careful with apples, bananas, peaches and plums...they’re higher in sugar than most fruits
    avoid dried fruits, they aren’t awful for you, but they’re loaded with sugar

* above all, the best advice I’ve ever gotten is: “Only eat things with ONE ingredient on the package. Just one.” (which basically means: eat clean)
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    That is awesome advice!
  • Angellkh
    Angellkh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and I really needed to read all these posts. I really know how you feel about the whole dress thing. We can do this. :-)
  • Nic0522
    Nic0522 Posts: 38
    Options
    I feel your pain - I won't even wear a dress right now :( or a bathing suit...or shorts...

Some of the things that have helped me get the scale moving again...
    Protein at each meal - eggs, chicken, turkey, fish. Breakfast is the hardest for me, I usually have an egg, or a Chobani yogurt -almost 20 grams of protein
    Fat at each meal - avocado, olive oil, nuts, almond butter
    Good carbs - veggies, fruit - I try to limit my bread to one serving a day, usually 100 calorie whole grain pepperidge farm rounds

I have to stay away from white bread, white rice, noodles, pasta...I just cannot control my cravings and blood sugar when I eat those. It took a while but I don't even like pasta anymore.

When I get my meal combinations right I don't feel the need to snack. I'll have my water and green tea between meals. If I have calories left I'll have dark chocolate after dinner. I buy the 72% squares individually packed, I can't be trusted with a whole bar!

Also, I love to cook, so I'll make things like a batch of Chicken Cacciatore (boneless chicken, olive oil, peppers, onions, garlic, tomato sauce) and we will have for dinner and I'll get 2 leftover lunches out of it.

Add me as a friend if you want, my diary is open... this week I'm back on track!

Good luck!
    Nicole
  • nthnglsts
    nthnglsts Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi CCValentine!

This is what has worked for me--and I'm 55 almost 56 and have a job where I sit 10 hours a day!
    Keep meals near 300-400 calories; have at least two snacks a day, exercise hard 3 times or more a week.

Usually I have:
    Breakfast = 1 c Fat Free milk, 1 English Muffin, 1 Tblsp chunky peanut butter, 1 teasp marmelade, a multi vitamin and a fish oil capsule. Cup of Water

Lunch, an egg with fat free mayo on whole wheat or turkey/ or ham on whole wheat with one slice of gouda cheese. A cup of fresh cherries or grapes or perhaps a peach. A handful of baby carrots if I want something crunchy or a quarter cup of almonds or pastacios. Cup or 2 cups of Water Sometimes coffee.

Snack Natures Valley granola bar---dark chocolate or fruit and nut or peanut/almond.

Exercise 90 minutes of racquet ball 3 times a week. You can burn your way through a thousand calories fast!

Dinner, whatever the family is having but staying away from bread and pastas and taking a moderate to small portion, more salad than potatoes or rice. More veggies than meat.

Snack before bed is a popsicle (all fruit) or a fudgsicle or a Klondike 100 calorie bar or if I have tons of calories left, some granola cereal and fat free milk.

I'm down about 13lbs and 2 sizes since late May. Only about 75lbs to go! Hope it will keep going at this rate!
  • mustanggirl_2011
    mustanggirl_2011 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing everything right, I am having some of the same issues as you. Just have to keep at it. I'll message you later :)
  • sweetsteph03
    sweetsteph03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was in the same position as you... I thought I was doing everything right and was feeling lost. I went to a dietician and she said my eating was damn near perfect. I could not understand why I was not losing weight. She suggested I cut back on my eating out. I took that advice and started to see some results. I truly believe there are tons of hidden calories we do not account for when we eat out... even when we think we are eating healthy. I also stopped drinking coffee (as hard as that was).
    My "go to" meal/snack is plain non-fat greek yogart with fresh strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon and a few sprinkles of fiber powder. It is very filling, full of protein and gives you the right amount of the sweet stuff!