Just curious if Im the only one...

Options
I normally dont change my diet that much and I eat the same thing generally every day because I see week after week that I lose weight with my routine..I did though just change it because I wasnt getting enough protein and it was causing problems, but now the scale is increasing...is it just because Ive switched my diet? Im still under my calorie goal every day. Is my body just adjusting? Im assuming in like a week or two Ill see the number going down again, I just dont want to see it increase too much...

Sorry if this is a stupid question, Ive been on this journey for 2 years but Im still learning so much about health and foods and my body.

Replies

• TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating more salt in your protein source?
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    As above it could be an increase in water retention from salt in change in diet.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your calorie counting? Do you use a food scale? How long has your weight been increasing and by how much?
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What if it is because the protein is causing more muscle?

This is what my nutritionist is going for in his advice to me. The weight gain makes me nervous, but I have to admit that I am stronger.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Not enough protein before? Under 46 a day before? It was causing problems?
    Maybe now your body and your muscles are just saying "thank you" now. Just maybe.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    What if it is because the protein is causing more muscle?

This is what my nutritionist is going for in his advice to me. The weight gain makes me nervous, but I have to admit that I am stronger.

Nope. Simply eating protein won't cause muscle gain. The only way for a person to gain muscle is to lift heavy objects and not be in a caloric deficit. Muscle is not the answer.
  • heyaliwood458
    heyaliwood458 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am adding a tiny bit of salt to my eggs. I changed my diet only like a week ago, and i honestly wasnt getting like any protein before. I used to eat only special k cereal, fruit, peanut butter toast, low calorie ice cream bars. Now im eating eggs and bacon and chicken.

Theres not a lot that i feel like i need to measure on a food scale..i use measuring cups though. I dont add any butter or milk to my eggs.

I know a lot can affect the scale, so im trying not to overthink it. My calorie goal is like 1220 and i eat around 1150 and workout for about 45 min a day.

I have lost around 103 pounds!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am adding a tiny bit of salt to my eggs. I changed my diet only like a week ago, and i honestly wasnt getting like any protein before. I used to eat only special k cereal, fruit, peanut butter toast, low calorie ice cream bars. Now im eating eggs and bacon and chicken.

Theres not a lot that i feel like i need to measure on a food scale..i use measuring cups though. I dont add any butter or milk to my eggs.

I know a lot can affect the scale, so im trying not to overthink it. My calorie goal is like 1220 and i eat around 1150 and workout for about 45 min a day.

I have lost around 103 pounds!

Everything that is solid needs to be weighed on a scale, measuring cups are for liquids only. However if you've lost 103lbs I'd say you know what you're doing.

• heyaliwood458
    Options
    Ill definitely be investing in a food scale then :)
  • heyaliwood458
    Options
    Thank you so much for that! Im definitely going to invest in one and that was a very helpful post :)
  • Ladycinnamonroll
    Ladycinnamonroll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're weight training at all or even doing exercise you could be adding muscle mass? That's only if you're sure you're still at a calorie deficit. X
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    One possibility is that you were losing muscle before by not eating eough protein and that's what changed.