Occasional wrist pain during bench press?

Options
So during some of my bench exercises my wrists feel under stress and can come under abit of stiffness afterwards. I've recorders myself to try to tweak my form but does anyone know if this is common and what I'm possibly doing wrong? Thanks

Replies

• icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My wrists are pretty feeble due to multiple surgeries and they're the weakest link in my pressing so I use wrist wraps which support my wrists and stop any pain.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wrist wraps can help, but make sure you're using proper form. Mark Rippetoe has a channel called Starting Strength on YouTube where he has great form videos on all the barbell lifts.

Other note - this would probably fare better on the Exercise board, not the Food and Nutrition board.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do you keep your wrists locked as straight as possible, or do you bend them back when bench pressing?
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bad form can cause wrist injuries. You coukd watch some Youtube instructional videos just to make sure you are doing the presses correctly
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    More than likely hand placement on the bar look at your wrist angle the next time you bench. I use dumbbells
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are also warming your wrists prior to doing any lifting as well. I do wrist circles and get on hands and knees with hands flat on the ground and gently move my body in circles with weight on hands so that you can get some mobility going.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    More than likely hand placement on the bar look at your wrist angle the next time you bench. I use dumbbells

Very well could be. When I do close-grip, the insides of my wrists get sore. When I do wide-grip, the outsides get sore. Regular grip? No problem, unless I have the bar too far back so that my wrists are bent back a lot. Wrist wraps have helped that issue - took a couple of weeks to get used to them, but I like them now.