Clarification please on weights for 30 day shred!

Options
Hi all

i have just ordered 30 day shred (i know behind with the times) as so much success seems to be on these forums.

However can someone please confirm what weights i should be using, i cannot tell if suggested weights is per arm or overall, does it have to be dumbells or can it be wrist weights?

Any advice gratefully appreicated!!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I would (and do) use dumbells because it's what I have. It's just faster, I think, because you'd probably want to take off the wrist weights for cardio. Use what you've got, though. Good luck!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    dumbbells would be best.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    hand weights since you need to pick them up and put them down quickly at times. I use 3 lbs for each hand. Sometimes I don't use any and just make myself resist. I do a lot of picking up of kids and carrying them around each day so sometimes my arms are just done!!
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    I started with wrist weights, but I switched to because it was inconvenient to take them on and off.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Uhhh... the first couple times I did the shred I had no weights, so I used cans of pie filling. LOL.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I use 2.5lbs each hand weight.

hth
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    3 pound weights and 5 pound hand weights should work.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I bought the DVD and the 30 DS kit from Target. This pkg included (2) 3 lb dumbells.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I use 3 lb. dumbbells. If you already have upper arm strength, then consider 5 lb. dumbbells. If you don't want to put out the cost of dumbbells in the beginning, you can use big cans of soup.

I wouldn't use weights that strap to your wrist. You need to go from exercise to exercise quickly and it is easier to just pick up the weights and put them down as you need them.
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I used 2x 3lb dumbells and if I found it easier I would pick up the 2x 5lb dumbells I had to one side. You do arm raises and dumbell rows so I dont think using wrist weights is a great idea.
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    p.s. I bought a set of 2x 1.5lb dumbells, 2x 3lbs dumbells and 2x 5lb dumbells from Sports Direct for £9.99 :-)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    II just finished and I used 5lb hand weights. You are supposed to use 2 to 3lbs weights. Use to water bottles if you dont have weights when the dvd comes.
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    thanks very much for your help!! Cannot wait to get started
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Uhhh... the first couple times I did the shred I had no weights, so I used cans of pie filling. LOL.

Love it! No eathing them after you're done though! I use 3 pound dumbells but am thinking I need to move up to 5 pound. My legs and rear are usually a little more sore than my arms when I'm done.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I did it with 5 lb dumbbells, because I worked with what I had already, and I have to say, I suggest going with lighter weights to start with. I think 3 lbs would have been better for me starting out. Wrist weights would work in a pinch, but you'd have to take them off and put them on so frequently that I think it would mess up the pace and be frustrating in the long run.

Ideally - and this is obviously not what I did, so you do what you have to! - I think it's best to have 3 lb, 5 lb, and 8 lb weights. That way moves that are more difficult for you, you can use the lighter weights, and moves that are fairly easy you can use the heavier set. There were times when the 5 lbs were perfect, but other times when it was too heavy.

Good luck! I really enjoyed the Shred and lost 10 lbs, and it sucked my waist in three inches.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Love it! No eathing them after you're done though! I use 3 pound dumbells but am thinking I need to move up to 5 pound. My legs and rear are usually a little more sore than my arms when I'm done.

Haha, you are correct, DON'T EAT YOUR WEIGHTS!!! Hahahaha! I was actually working a weekend shift at one of my volunteer jobs and had to stay there all weekend overnight... so I went to their kitchen and found the heaviest cans I could still hold comfortably... which was peach pie filling! Heehee.
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    well ive just bought 2.5lb ones, i figure a toal of 5lb is a good start.....i dont want to make it that bad that i never do it again!! Here is to a new me (hopefully!) thanks all