How long will you count calories?

Options

Replies

• rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've counted calories since 2004... with my weight up and down, even through pregnancies. I have tried to stop several times and cannot. I want to simply have a healthy relationship with food without having to think about it. I'm still waiting for that day...
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Forever and ever....amen.....lol :flowerforyou:
  • perne11
    perne11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I’m a “list” person. I like writing things down and keeping track of things. I like keeping journals and what not, so logging my food does not bother me. Also I can tend to be a snacker, so to keep up with every bit of food I put in my mouth without writing it down may not go over so well.

So I will probably always keep some sort of food journal.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't want to count calories forever. For a while, especially when first starting MFP, it was almost an obsession of mine. I want to have a healthy relationship with food and not log every teaspoon of mustard I ingest for the rest of my life.

I will use MFP to ease into maintaining and find what range I should stay in daily to maintain my weight. After that, I plan on living my life like a normal person but using the knowledge I gained from MFP not to get fat again. I will weigh weekly once I have maintained successfully with MFP for a while. If the weight creeps up again I'll be back here logging what I eat to see where I am going wrong.
  • southtowngirl
    southtowngirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Forever, is the only way I'll be able to maintain it. I've learned that the hard way.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    I think it's kind of addicting and fun :) I don't have a set stop date to counting cals, but I'm going to allow myself days where I don't have to count but still have to eat right, just so I don't feel so restricted allll my life. That's my plan for now. :) Enjoy the process and don't worry too much about the future. <3:flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is my new lifestyle, not my new diet. I find that my eye never matches my kitchen scale, so I will always live this lifestyle.
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I hope to continue to count in my own head for the rest of my life. I'll continue to log until I'm confident that the numbers I count in my head are reasonably close to reality. I don't want to fall into the trap of eating huge calorie bombs all the time.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think looking at the calorie count of unknown foods will always be apart of my life. However, I don't think I will be as strict with logging as I've been in the past. I'm actually weaning myself now from doing it everyday. I eat basically the same foods most days anyways. Now on occasions I will get something new. Those are the days when I will log to see where I need to make adjustments.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'll log everything at least until I'm in the habit of maintaining. Eventually I hope to reach the point when I can safely assign a set number of calories to cover my basic portion controlled menu for the day and then individually log the extras, treats, and other items that I don't eat as regularly. Do I need to hold myself accountable for every broiled chicken breast with a side of steamed broccoli I eat for the rest of my life? No, but I think it would be a good idea to continue to track the sorts of things that I know can get me into trouble, and maybe give myself a weekly calorie budget to cover them.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think (HOPE) that at some point once I have reached my goal it will be second nature, picking the right things to eat and exercising. My hope is that I CAN get to a point that I can eat healthy and maintain without having to count everything. That is the ultimate goal, for it to be a lifestyle change.

I completely agree with this. Once I get to my goal, I'm hoping to just trust my body enough to eat what I want, but small portions without even thinking about it. I really don't want to count calories and obsess forever. That just won't work for me.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I may not always keep a log, but I'll be adding calories up forever, I'm sure. It's become second nature to do so. I started a few years ago by writing everything in notebooks, then kept it on my cell phone in the PDA calendar area, and now using this on my computer.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Forever. For me, this is a lifetime effort. I'm less likely to kid myself into thinking I'm "normal" that way. When I kid myself into thinking that I "just want to be 'normal'", I gain weight. I've pretty much proven that's my reality, time and again. So to keep it real...I accept that it's forever.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    I am thinking for the rest of my life, but whether it will be as carefully as I do right now I don't know. Time and experience will tell. Basically for the time it takes it more than pays for itself in health benefits.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Following portions and making good choices, yes. Entering them on a website, not sure. I've had internal debates about the effectiveness of putting the entries on this website. It works, I'll keep with it.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Expect to count calories for some period for maintenance until I feel comfortable at that level. Though I do expect to keep an eye on my weight and return should it start doing something I don't want it to, and/or occasionally just to keep myself in check.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    forever and ever and ever:bigsmile:
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Forever, I'm sure. And I'm okay with that. I figure I have to count the carbs (diabetic) anyway, so I may as well keep track of all of it. I think that will help keep me from sliding back into unhealthy habits.

Kris
  • ATXJudie
    ATXJudie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Once I hit my goal weight "range" I will probably stop keeping track daily. But in my mind, I have about a 5 pound range I want to get to and stay in. Once I hit that goal range I will probably stop tracking, BUT if I start getting to the top end of that range I will probably track myself for a couple of weeks...just to get back on track. So I am sure, occasionally, I will continue to track....but not as obsessively as I do now....
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think forever, cause if I'm not keeping track, I'm sure I could easily eat 4000 calories a day! With this site though, it doesn't take long to keep track, so that's ok!