Brown Rice

Options
sweetie1975
sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
What do you do to add more flavor to this?

I am a huge lover of rice but not the good brown whole grain kind. What can I do to flavor this type of rice up a bit so it's not so darn bland and tasteless.

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    instead of water I use broth too cook brown rice. Just be careful it's not too high in sodium.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I add spices to the water while it's cooking. then lots of veggies! garlic, onion, tomatoes, peppers (jalapeno not just bell), corn and salsa. I also love red beans and rice or black beans and rice, it's a perfect protein and totally filling.
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat brown rice with black beans. Or with chicken sausage for breakfast sometimes.
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    I love how brown rice tastes! To me, white rice tastes a lot like paste. Feels like paste too.

However, my family doesn't share my sentiments. Well, my kids do but my husband doesn't. I do everything that was previously suggested. But I will also add in half a teaspoon of butter (not margarine) into the water while it's cooking for a bit of flavor. I may add in some dill, or a bit of chicken/beef/whatever from the night before.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    I cook up a huge thing of plain brown rice and mix in different things as the week goes on....

ideas include

1) Shrimp and veggies and spices
    2) chicken/ veggies/ curry powder
    3) tomato sauce/ onion/ pepper
    4) "fry" some in some pam with scrambled egg/ peas/ carrots/ corn- "fried rice"
    5) eaten in the morning in a pan with a little almond milk, cinnamin, and just a touch of margarine

and the list goes on and on ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I am a huge lover of rice but not the good brown whole grain kind. What can I do to flavor this type of rice up a bit so it's not so darn bland and tasteless.

I'm shocked at the question because I've always thought the nutty taste of brown rice is much better than plain old white rice. But to add flavor I usually cook it in low sodium stock (either store bought or homemade) and add Mrs. Dash seasonings. Garlic and herb is my favorite, but I mix it up depending on what I'm serving it with.

Stir frying it with fresh veggies and sprinkling on a little lower sodium soy sauce is also delicious.
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I'm shocked at the question because I've always thought the nutty taste of brown rice is much better than plain old white rice. But to add flavor I usually cook it in low sodium stock (either store bought or homemade) and add Mrs. Dash seasonings. Garlic and herb is my favorite, but I mix it up depending on what I'm serving it with.

Well, actually, it wasn't plain white rice that I was eating, flavored rice mostly (chicken, beef, or fried) so the brown rice is nasty with little or no taste to me.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'll be sure to incorporate them.
    Stir frying it with fresh veggies and sprinkling on a little lower sodium soy sauce is also delicious.
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Saute your veggies in a little olive oil (I use chopped onion, celery and carrots) then dump in your rice and saute that briefly too. Use vegetable stock, or beef or chicken stock, the low sodium variety, in place of water, just pour over and cook as instructed on the box or bag. It makes a very flavorful rice pilaf.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Do you like sweet rice concoctions?

I LOVE leftover brown rice reheated with about 1/4-1/2 cup of milk (almond/soy/skim/whatever) with cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe a dash of brown sugar, and raisin/bananas/whatever fruit you want.

Yum. Maybe not what you where looking for, but it's delicious!