Hmm... don't seem to be doing so well at this.

Options
Hey hey,

Today was my first day on My Fitness Pal... I'm not entirely sure it went to plan.

I started out so well (or so I thought) - after some confusion about just how active I actually am, I set my level to 'sedentary' and dutifully logged my walk to work. So far so good.

Then came the food.
Breakfast: shreddies
Lunch: beans on toast
Dinner: pizza and grapes
Plus copious amounts of decaf tea.

Not the healthiest start perhaps, but my protein was almost reaching my 'goal' and my calories were sitting comfortably at 'not a huge deficit but got a few spare'. All fabulous until it entered into my mind that it might be a lovely idea to go for a late night walk. So now it's 11pm and I'm home, I'm not really hungry, and apparently my net calories are now at 1140. Maybe I should eat some more grapes!

Replies

• michz
    michz Posts: 102
    Options
    Half the battle is just paying attention to what you eat and what you do! This website is GREAT and definitely becomes easier and quite possibly addicting! Keep it up! Feel free to friend me if you want!
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    I thought you were going to say that you had eaten the entire kitchen or something. Sounds to me like you are doing great if all you need to do is to eat about 60 calories of grapes in order to complete your day! Keep up the great work!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Sounds like just a whole lot of carbs. Diary is closed though, and I'm not sure I see the problem?
    Just as long as you know MFP already has the deficit built in, so you want to hit the calorie goal it says.
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    try buying some almonds for days like this.and don't worry about going over on protein MFP set your protien level low ,but you need more to build more muscle which in return will burn more calories and replace fat.Good luck on your journey to betterhealth and feel free to add me for support and motivation:love:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks I basically spent becoming more aware of what I had been eating. I was shocked at how huge my portion sizes had been. It will get so, so much easier the longer you do this! You end up training yourself to recognize healthy foods and portion sizes without really thinking too much about it. It's tons of fun, actually! Enjoy! :drinker:
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. You'll learn. 1140 sounds pretty good.
  • Mrs_Hull
    Mrs_Hull Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Just as long as you know MFP already has the deficit built in, so you want to hit the calorie goal it says.

I'm in my first week, too. It does look like you're doing well. I guess I didn't fully realize that we want to hit the calorie goal. That makes me feel a little better about my deviant brownie and cheeto snacks.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks I was active on MFP, I just logged. I spent that time just familiarizing myself with what I was eating, and what the numbers looked like, etc. Once I did that for a little while, I started making changes to my eating... learning to balance everything, see where I can improve, make different choices, it's a process that I'm still working on. Sounds to me like you're off to a great start, and you just need to give yourself some time to get a feel for everything!

Also, IMO as long as you're *near* the 1200 calorie mark, it's okay. I don't worry about 60 over or 60 under. There's a margin of error when we're recording our food anyway - so that "1140" number is probably close, but not exact anyway.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Also, be careful with pizza. Its loaded with calories, fat, and sodium....

Try to eat some fresh meats, as if you get teh right cuts its low in calories, fat, and uber high in protein :D
  • trouble007
    trouble007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So this is my second stint on MFP. I was doing beautifully earlier this year until I had one of those dreaded "Trouble007 has logged in for 7 days in a row!" when I had been on it for months. That honestly did me in. I managed to keep logging in even when I had my cancer surgery this past spring but one stupid day when I forgot to log in sent me reeling backward. So for my sophomore round I'm reaching out to the MFP community to please help me stay on track. I didn't get set back any weight (In fact I continued to lose), but I'm not being as healthy about it and I sure could use some folks who know how hard this is to cheer me on. I promise to do the same in return. Eagerly.
    I'm 32, just had the scare of my life with the dreaded C word and I have a ton to live for. Any kindred spirits out there hit me up and make me accountable!!!

first goal: finish treatment and lose 9 lbs by Sep 1.
  • annaannaannaoh
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I guess I wasn't expecting to find it difficult to eat enough.

I was fairly careful with the pizza - definitely the supermarket oven type with all the numbers on rather than takeaway. Fat and sodium are both under the goals, so I'm not going to worry about it. Tomorrow I might have to concentrate on increasing the vegetables. Most of my food is vegetarian so I'm slightly reluctant to eat lumps of meat, I'll keep watching my protein carefully and consider giving it a go.