Great replacement for mayo in summer salads

Options
sharidiane
sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
So if you love your summer salads, like egg salad, pasta salad, tuna salad, macaroni salad, deviled eggs, etc - here's a great tip for replacing the mayo:

Boil some eggs. Separate the egg whites from the yolks. You can use the yolks for something else, or in your salad.
Puree the egg whites.
Add a splash of vinegar. If sodium is not too much of a concern for you, you can add a tiny pinch of salt, but honestly this is just as good as without. Then puree just a little bit longer.

Each egg white yields about 2 TBSP.

Voila. This mixture will be very moist, and will bind the ingredients in your salad together and is a great replacement for mayo! I caclulate this to be about 8 calories per tablespoon.

YES - you read that right!!! 8 cals per TBSP.

Replies

• SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks!
  • tiffbarnett
    Options
    Wow! Sounds yummy and I will have to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

SW: 244
    CW: 231
    GW: 140
    1st Goal: Weigh 219 by August 15th (back to school)
    2nd Goal: Weigh 200 by December 15th
    3rd Goal: Weigh 170 by April 1st
    Final Goal: Weigh 140 by August 1, 2012
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    got to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love Smart Beat! It's a Soy mayo replacement and it's delicious!
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    Veganaise is really nummers too.
  • DarMC
    DarMC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump! Will try this with tuna!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am really excited to see this post about the mayo replacement. I love mayo but obviously have to part ways with it since it's so unheatlhy. I did get SmartBeat, but I am just concerned about the ingredient list...there are many chemical and unnatural- sounding things in there.

About the egg whites, would it work to make some each week and put it in a jar? I guess I'm asking how long it lasts in the fridge. I would love to replace a fake low-cal mayo with real egg whites from farm chickens.

Thanks!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use Fage greek yogurt - makes a great replacement, just use a little less than 1:1 since it's runnier....I made fantastic devil's eggs with it - and for less than 150 calories per total egg (ie, two pieces).
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    About the egg whites, would it work to make some each week and put it in a jar? I guess I'm asking how long it lasts in the fridge. I would love to replace a fake low-cal mayo with real egg whites from farm chickens.

Thanks!

I have always thought of trying this. Right now, during the summer, I am home in the mornings with my kids, so its a piece of cake to just boil however many I need for the day. I wouldn't keep this mixture any longer than 3 days, though. But that's just my personal limit on keeping cooked foods in my fridge. I think you could make some up on Sunday, and then again on Wednesday. When school is back in, that is probably what I will do. HTH!
  • Lifetime4Me
    Lifetime4Me Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you what a great idea.

I also like the Greek Yogurt idea
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Nuh uh!
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options