Not new to MFP... but new to posting. ;)

Options
mrdwp
mrdwp Posts: 17 Member
Hi.
I'm kind of a regular guy that needs to get back to where I was before my son was born. Everything in my life has kind of gone to hell, including my fitness... so that's someplace to start.

I've been using MFP off and on for about a year... but am in the groove now and super-motivated due to some mean comments by GF recently. I'm not sure what's going to happen with that... I still have some thinking to do.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a wonderful 5 year old boy who is the joy of my life. I want to be more physically active with him. In the years to come I won't be able to keep up with him like I do now if I don't shed some lbs. I love him and, if for no other reason, he is worth all of this.

I do about 45mins of weight training and 30 mins of pretty intense cardio 5-6days per week now and have been for about 4 months... although I took about 4 weeks off to see if my shoulders would heal up with non-use (I may need surgery at this point - but I am gritting through it til that is confirmed).

I cannot let anything derail me this time around... I need to make some decisions in my life and they will be easier if I am in the best shape possible... or back in the driver's seat, so to speak.

Anyway... I am happy to be in he community.

Dave

Replies

• tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Welcome to posting Dave and good luck with your weightloss journey :smile:
  • dishy15
    dishy15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    some similiarities here.......hope you keep going.
    Feel free to add me...nice to some common ground
  • schmoovey
    schmoovey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave!
    Welcome to the community and having MFP friends to be accountable should really help with your journey. It seems to be working for me so far.
    I will send you a friend request.
  • mrdwp
    Options
    Thanks.. Dunno how to request friend yet... Send me one if you can as I know how to accept them so far. LOL!

Any help and encouragement is welcomed.

(Edit since last post - I figured it out)
  • Ruth4111gut
    Ruth4111gut Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me...
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! Not only CAN you do this but I truly believe you will.

It is psychological warfare with your baser self. Life deflected our attention and we let him run the show. But he was never equipped to do that it's our fault, we let the lunatic run the asylum. It's time to micro-manage your inner demons :)

We all have the impulse-controlled demon within. And that's ok, he has his place, we've got have some fun too. But I know I let him run the show for too long when things get tough. And guess what, he wreaked havoc. And I can't blame him, for he knows not what he does.

Sounds like you've reached the same point I did a few months ago: I feel like I literally woke up in a fat-suit and thought holy crap, that's what happens when you decide to eat what you want when you want. It didn't have anything to do with hunger.

In fact these last two months I have learnt when I'm really hungry. And it's way less often than I thought. But more, much more than this , I did it myyyy way. Oops sorry, got sidetracked :) seriously though, it's about taking control of your life - every aspect of it - and consciously deciding where you want to go how you want to get there and who you want with you fir the ride. It's physical, emotional and mental journey, persistently summonsing the discipline a gazillion times a day to stay the course. If you commit, approach with clarity, confidence and consistency, i believe you will also gain clarity on all the other issues that bother you.

Feel free to add me, it's good to have support and encouragement from with people making the same lifestyle change. I'm not always this preachy!
  • mrdwp
    Options
    Thanks for the support! This Community stuff is encouraging. :-)
  • mrdwp
    Options
    3 days in and I already feel the difference with support and stuff. Involvement helps. Thanks guys!
  • mrdwp
    Options
    Well it's been almost 2 years since the original post above and I find myself back up in weight and needing to get it all under control again.

For the past year and a half I had been driving 2 hours to work and 2 hours home every day... Setting up more obstacles for exercising and nutrition than I was able to (or maybe willing to) overcome.

I resigned from my position a week and a half ago and modified my intake and activity... Now it's just a matter of staying the course which this app and community has helped me with in the past.

All of the friended folks from 2 years ago seems to have moved on so I am in need of new ones
  • scoffee0701
    scoffee0701 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave. Your story is so similar to many others on MFP. I'm a mom of 3 boys and it's so easy to give your whole self to raising children and working and relationships which leave yourself very spread thin with almost 0 time to work on "you"! I'm currently in the same boat. I'm trying to get my body back after having 3 kids and finding the time to do so is very difficult but in the long run it will pay off. I've lost 40 lbs so far thanks to lap band surgery. But of course it's still up to me to keep this weight melting off. If you still need support, I'd love to help ;)
  • jeffkirkwold
    jeffkirkwold Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok Dave, let's do this. I'm 47 and 6' 2" with 125lbs to go. I started in April of this year at 370lbs and lost 45lbs to date. I'm averaging 2.9lbs a week and my goal is 200lbs even ultimately targeting a body fat percentage of 12%. You be there for me, I'll be there for you.
  • mrdwp
    Options
    Fantastic! I am 48 and just started out again at 328 and need to get down to 255-260 which will put me at about 10-12% body fat. So similar!!

I need to drop about 20-25%... It's an uphill battle for now, but with a lil support it should be easier. My target is 5% in the first 2-3 weeks, and then 5% every 1-1.5 months thereafter. Dropped 2.5% in the first week (as usual)... Another 5% and I'll be back in the gym working on that side of things.

Hope to see you succeed as well!!
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave. Welcome. I've been here for almost 130 days and love all the support I get here. I don't get any support at home so I've learned to let others in and help and motivate me along on my journey. Good luck to you.
  • mrdwp
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! The support and encouragement here is amazing!